Throwing pipe spring: 98KX250

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
This bike has been throwing the throttle side pipe spring forever. I buy new ones, they last for a while, then throw again. I buy aftermarket; gone after one ride. I've tried safety wiring the sping to the pipe; still gone after one ride. Anybody else had this problem? Any suggested solutions? It seems like unless it's a very fresh OEM spring, it doesn't stay on.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Doesn't that bike have a large spacer(washer) that goes between the pipe and cylinder. Try replacing that or doubling up on it to put a little more stretch on the springs. Also make sure that the tab on the pipe that the spring hooks on is not bent. Never seen one have the problem you describe

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
I don't know if I have the same problem, but it isn't the spring popping off that is the problem, it is that the spring breaks. It is caused by heat and vibration. Snowmobiles have the same problem I am told. THe way to fix it is to either put silicon on the side of the spring or put the spring in a plastis hose to stop the spring from vibrating so much.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Something is definately out of wack. I don't think that it would be vibration after one ride.
If the spring is breaking (With an OEM spring, I know from personal experience that the FMF Springs are JUNK.) your pipe is probably moving more than it should be or you have TOO much preload on the spring.

If the spring is falling off, then either again your pipe is moving too much or the preload (mounting tabs) on your springs is too little.

I would check all of your pipe mounts and the spring mounting tabs.

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
holy crap!! i am definetely with you on this, i have gone through my share of pipe springs, and nothing seems to work.(OEM last 2 rides,FMF 10 min ride and its gone) In fact, ive given up i dont even use pipe springs anymore. Although i havent tried putting them inside a peice of hose or sumthing. sorry i dont have to advice other than your not the only one...

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I'm with you on the FMF springs being junk. I also have a 98 KX and since going to a spring with a swivel on one end. (White Brothers?) I haven't had any problems. My assumption is that the way the springs go on that it puts the spring in a bind making it break much easier. The swivel seems to cure this.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Thanks for all the responses. I put a swivel spring on; with the swivel on the head side. It's lasted one ride so far.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I know a guy with an '02 KX250 that is going through the same thing. He's gone through two or three sets of FMF springs in the same amount of rides. I've got the swivel headed springs on my '01, filled with high-temp silicone and wrapped with high-temp fuel hose (to cut down on vibration) and have never had to replace them (knock on wood).

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
That's what I said to do and it has worked for me. It is the heat and vibration that the springs can't take. I bet its even worse on the KX 500.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Hmmmmm..... That's weird. Not trying to tell you your messed up or anything, but I've had my '98 for two years now and it's still got the stockers. I still have the copper gasket between the head and the pipe, so maybe that's the deal.

jyoungfl

Dec 3, 2004
Chalk me up as another one breaking springs, I have a 98 KX 250, that I can't keep the throttle side spring on no matter if I use the swivel or not. I've checked my pipe mounts, replaced O-Rings, Replaced Copper, Check motor mounts.....I had given up to the fact that I would just have to replace them after every other ride.
I will give the rubber hose thing a try and see if that makes a diff..

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
KX500 springs. I threw them all until I put the 500 springs on. After that; no problems.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…