Thumb Brake?

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
I need some help with something. I have an artifical right leg. I don't have any ankle motion and have learned motox using solely the front brake. As i have gotten a little faster I have really wanted a rear brake but in order to use it, I have to remove my foot from the peg and use my heel which can throw me off balance quickly. I have heard that some road racers move the rear brake to a thumb lever up on the left side of the handle bars. Sounds perfect to me but havent the foggiest on how to do it. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
The first thing I could see doing, is using an exsisting thumb throttle set up from an ATV and some how rigging it up hydraulically to the rear brake.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
How about setting up with a Revloc clutch, and going with regular levers for front and rear... just a thought.

380roost

Apr 20, 2003
Old BMW road bikes (1970s) had a cable operated front brake master cylinder under the tank, they came in 2 bore sizes.

Regards,
Ken

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
GP Tech has some cool looking thumbrakes. Im going to give them a call today to see how much those things cost. So I could hook up a thumb compression release or something to one of these BMW bike's master cylinder? That sounds promising, I'll check ebay to see if I can get ahold of one.
Thanks,
Cyrus

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Contact Ivan (Truespode), he has recently done some research on this exact thing and might be able to help you.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
my neighbor has a thumb rear brake on his bbr cr/xr120 conversion. He just ordered the bike with the thumb brake installed direct from bbr, so I don't know if they make it or not. But he hauls on that lil bike! oh btw he uses the thumb brake assembly becasue his right side is semi paralyzed

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
Hello cyprice

i know this is a bit of an old thread but thought id addmy pennys worth just incase your still looking for a solution

im running a crf450 with a z-start autoclutch.
i fitted this so i could rig up a back brake on the bars

for this ive used a magura clutch master-cylinder which ive rigged up directly to the rear caliper with some earls braided hose and fittings.

ive dumped the stock back brake pedal and the clutch lever.

this set up is spot on,, my rear brake control is now much better,, sliding into right handers is a breeze,

if you need it i can post pictures

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
sorry i meant to say

i looked into using a thumb brake, instead the combination im currently using,
but found that the thumb brakes used in road racing didnt have enough power to be an effective brake,,, in road racing its used thro the corners to drag the rear brake and load up the front wheel [better grip/cornering]

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
sorry i meant to say

i brought the clutch master cylinder from ebay for about £5 and the hose cost me around £40
so including brake fluid it all cost me £50

i looked into using a thumb brake, instead the combination im currently using,
but found that the thumb brakes used in road racing didnt have enough power to be an effective brake,,, in road racing its used thro the corners to drag the rear brake and load up the front wheel [better grip/cornering]

Dan Dennis

Oct 17, 2003
It might be possible to connect the front & rear brakes together and use a proportioning valve to adjust balance to each

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…