tie downs causing your forks to leak....trick!

Cr85Expert52

May 25, 2003
heres what you do and I did it the first day I got my bike. You take a piece of like 1X1 wood and cut it to fit in between the front tire and underneath the fender. leave about a 1/2 inch gap so the front will go down about a 1/2 inch and then the wood is blocking it from going any further. Sand the edges down on the corners of the wood. Then get a washcloth and cut it to go on top of one side which would be the fender side so the bottom of the fender doesn't scratch. Put the washcloth on one side of the wood and staple or duck tape it to hold. Then when you put the bike in your truck place the wood in between the front wheel and underneath the front fender and make sure it's on an angle parallel to your shocks. Tie it down and there you go not to much pressure on your seals and springs.

my250

Mar 19, 2002
sounds like a good trick BUT ..... ur forks shouldn't be leaking when compressed. I'd check to see if dirt has gotten past your dust seals

Cr85Expert52

May 25, 2003
ohhh my bike is brand new and my forks don't leak. I got this idea from someone from my last bike. It was a pos 89 kx80 with a 86 motor. Putting it in the back of my dads truck and tieing the tie downs very tightly just wasn't a good idea. The forks would leak so badly I would constantly keep wiping the oil from the fork every 10 minutes. If any pressure was put on them they would leak a huge amount. So this thought of my 03 cr85 expert leaking oil from the forks forced me to do something so not much pressure is put on the front end.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If you took the time to read the thread that I suggested you would know that you can't hurt the seals by compressing the forks. Like my250 said, if they are leaking then you have other problems.

I give you credit for trying to prevent problems from occurring by thinking ahead but I believe you are a bit misguided on this one. As with any problem, if you take the time to understand the root cause you can usually prevent it from happening again. The trick is determining the root cause.

Cr85Expert52

May 25, 2003
I am sure that so much stress on the fork springs isn't the best idea either. If you take the time to just cut a piece of wood like I said and use it I feel that in the long run my fork springs will outlast yours any day. Just my thoughts and opinions!!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Cr85Expert....The compression/decompression of the spring causes WAY MORE fatigue than just leaving it compressed. If it was going to hurt your fork springs, then why do all of the dealerships (around here anyways) have the bikes tied down to the trailer year round without a brace???

Back when I was less experienced and thought like you that the fork springs and seals would get ruined if I put to much pressure on the forks when trailering, I cut a 2x4 with foam and the thing lasted about halfway through the trip then it fell out, leaving my bike very loose on the trailer!!! :eek:

My experience has been just to tie down the bikes tight and nothing bad will happen. Actually something good will happen to your bike, it will stay on the trailer or in the bed where it is supposed to be!!! :)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by Cr85Expert52
... Just my thoughts and opinions!!
Well, you could have an opinion that the universe revolved around the earth and you be wrong too.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
How did I know that RM_guy would see this thread. ;)

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
So why does UFO make a fork saver which does the same thing the 1x1 does? Wouldn't selling a bogus product damage a company's reputation?

To see what I'm talking about, check out the link and scroll down. Read the blurb too.

http://www.dirtbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/DirtBikeStore_com_Miscellaneous__90.html

I'm not trying to take sides in this discussion, just adding info to it. . .

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
There are a lot of products out there that people really don't need. Throw in a lot of hype, misconception and a side order of fear and you have a great marketing campaign.

Cr85Expert52

May 25, 2003
heres the thing my forks go down about a 1/2 inch and then it meets the top of the 1X1. I feel that this is better than having my forks go down 5 inches when it is tightly tied down. My only thought before posting this thread was to maybe help you guys and give you an idea. Obviously the idea just turned on me. I hold no grudge though. Just an idea I wanted everyone to think about. Sorry for posting a topic that may cause controversy

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use a piece of 4x4 wood with a section of old rear tire nailed through the tread into the wood to hold on to the front tire when I trailer my bike. If I leave on the trailer for too long my fork seals will weep slightly. They have never leaked at any other time. A side benefit from this is you can really get the bike nice and tight in the trailer. I wouldn't spend any money to buy one of those fancy forksavers when I can make something that works just as well for about a 10 minute time investment. Others may disagree by saying it's not necessary, but it certainly does no harm, either. Just my thoughts...
Darrin

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I just made one of these things yesterday. Took a piece of 3" PVC pipe, cut it down to about 11" and it fit like a glove. Then I spray painted it gold for the "works" look. I got the chance to use it today, worked like a dream. I think I could flip my truck over and the bike would stay still. After having the CR tip over twice in one week, it was a necessity.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Yeah, once you have pulled your bike down tight on the wedge, there is no real chance of the tie downs coming off due to fork compression.

Either way, it makes your MXer look like a real MXer sitting on the trailer. Pulling your forks all the way down without the wedge makes the damn thing look like a trials bike. How uncool......

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I played a bit with these devices. I dont like the "solid" way my bike rides on a trailer with the forks "locked up"

Honestly, springs are ment to be compressed. Most forks are under some spring compression with just the caps on.

I would also ask this. If spring compression causes seals to leak, how do our rear shocks even work? These should blow up constantly. 170 lbs of nitrogen ALWAYS! Several hundred pounds of spring compression just to achieve a decent ride height...ALWAYS. Giant leverage ratios...ALWAYS.

Lets not even mention the filth and water (from washing) around the shock seal area. The seal is also 1/4 the size of the fork seal. If spring compression causes fork seals to leak, we better use 2x4's to replace our shocks.

Not trying to sound like an a-hole. I hope I dont.  I love this type of discussion. Please keep it up!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
With all of the bumpy roads I use, the bike on it's own would untie itself from rocking back and forth, no matter how far I cranked down the tie downs. All it did was compress my suspension that much further. The "block" is a necessity for me also. No more leaky fork seals was just an added benefit.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
By accident, I've conducted this very experiment to come to one conclusion... RM_guy is correct. Leakage is not caused by completely compressing the forks. Clean your fork seals and you won't have this problem. Just because it's a new bike, doesn't mean there isn't dirt in there. If you want to travel with a block of wood wedged in there, go for it. There is no real benefit to this, but if peace of mind is what you're going for then so be it. Your forks will not last longer than mine simply because you do use a block and I don't. And in the arguement of 'why would so and so sell one if you don't need it'... how many other products do you not need that people still buy into? Graphics, gold sprockets, etc. Just because they sell it doesn't mean you need it. :cool:

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I believe there is a benefit to the block. It has nothing to do with the leakage problem. It's for the stability of the bike. The block of wood makes it very easy to tie the bike down securely. Without the block there is always some compliance in the fork that can loosen a tie down. The block eliminates this. I do, however, agree there is a very large pile of "accessories" that are a complete waste of money.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I too have the 3" PVC pipe (although mine's stock, not trick like yours!). I've tried hitching it down with and without and it just doesn't feel secure enough without it. My bike has never tipped over with it in (although my wife's has (without a block)several times). I think that is benefit enough to invest a couple dollars (mine was free) to put this in and not worry about. I tighten it enough to see it bite into the tire, it doesn't hurt ONE single thing, the bike actually looks better in the truck (just like new graphics make it LOOK better), and it is MORE secure than I could get it without putting it in --- therefore, I FEEL better about transporting my bikes around WITHOUT fear of them tipping over! Cool, huh?

I don't buy into the hype that tightening the straps down and compressing the springs doesn't contribute to them fatiguing either (even if it is a very minute (ya know 'my noot') amount). So, lets see, bouncing up and down everytime you jump will fatigue the springs, but compressing them down and leaving them this way won't? Lot's of people change their pistons and/or rings on their 2stroke bikes every 25 hours or so RELIGIOUSLY, for peace of mind (and at the same time tell everyone not to rely on a compression test). Lot's of people clean their filters everytime they ride and suggest everyone else do the same, for peace of mind. I don't hear anyone saying that they are WRONG, I don't see any threads with 40 posts telling them that what they are doing is unnecessary (when it probably is a little bit in excess). But, someone offers a tip--something that they've found that works for them and this thread is already two pages long! You can keep trying to convince me, I've read all of the threads on this subject and you haven't done it yet! Keep trying....maybe I'll get around to checking this thread again and see if you've come up with something a little more convincing. :flame: :flame:

Ok, sorry, rant over.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I still have not seen anything teling me why the shock does not have the same leaking problem as the fork. Shock pressure is high even at full extension.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by Rcannon
I still have not seen anything teling me why the shock does not have the same leaking problem as the fork. Shock pressure is high even at full extension.
The shock seal doesn't leak for the same reason that the fork seal won't leak under compression (UNLESS THERE IS DIRT UNDER THE SEAL OR IT'S WORN), that type of oil seal will seal tighter as the pressure builds. It's designed to be that way.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…