shatsac

Jan 25, 2004
First of all, to get this out there, I'm a cheap son of a bitch. A few months ago I cracked my swingarm in half casing a jump. I TIG welded a repair on it and inspect before each ride. So far its held strong considering how hard ive been riding lately. I cracked my rear rim last weekend and I'm thinking of doing a similar temporary repair until i can find a set of excels for cheap. I guess the question is...How safe is this and will it hold for a couiple weeks of riding?

B

biglou

Cheap is good. Unsafe and dangerous is not. I'd relace it with a new rim. Don't risk taking yourself out indefinitely-or worse-peramently. Think about it...

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
The swing arm was welded at the factory, and therefore the material was likely selected for it's weldable properties. The rim is either extruded and welded at the ends (not likely), or spin formed, like an aluminum pot. If you can't find a weld seam on the rim, I wouldn't bet on being able to weld it. Spin forming is like cold rolling, it imparts a level of work hardening. Welding defeats the work hardening, causing a weak spot.
I'd find a used rim.

Last edited:

merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
I had a rear rim welded on an 89yz250, the crack was about a 10mm long from the edge of the tire beed. It lasted about 3 rides at a somewhat less then impressive beginners speed.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My son had a cracked rim on his bike this summer and when I asked about welding it our mechanic said a definitive no! First thing he did when the wheel was off the bike to relace the new excel rim was cut the old rim in half so there would be no temptation.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You have a clear choice...

1) welded rim with a potential ride to the hospital costing thousands of dollars, not to mention lost income, or

2) a relaced rim that will set you back about $100 and a evening of work.

Which is the best choice for the true cheep s-o-b?

Top Bottom