jeepjunk94

Jan 26, 2008
Hello all, I have a 78' TT500, gave it a fresh set of rings and up graded to an 80' XT head for the bigger intake valve. Now the head I got off e-bay had different springs and retainers than my stock head, they look like the aftermarket alloy sets. The springs are much stiffer. OK, I have had my old bike apart many times and many old 500's like it, but when I set my chain tension on this one I get a clicking or pecking noise at idle. Now I know the nature of the beast on these and noise is normal to a point, I thought it was valves at first so rechecked adjustment and that was not it so went to the timing chain. Checked the setting and readjusted as normal, set end of plunger flush with adjuster bolt at TDC (not 180 out TDC) and lock it down. Still getting the noise, if I loosen the tensioner on the chain it gets quiet until I up the RPM's then a whole new noise is there like to mush slack. Question is if you have aftermarket stiff springs is it the nature of the beast to have a nosey chain? Is the snap from the stiffer springs causing the noise and is that normal? Is there a trick to this I don't know? You race guy's should know just what I am talking about, I guess. Oh and yes the chain is good, I put a new one in not long ago just to be doing it.

jeepjunk94

Jan 26, 2008
Never Mind Fixed It!!

It's fixed now, I left the washer out that goes behind the plunger. It is a special washer that has rubber in the middle to dampen noise.

Top Bottom