Timing chain stretch

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
Does anyone know where to find specs for the timing chain? I think the chain on our XR80 is stretched, but I don't know the factory spec for a length measurement.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
There is no real spec. The chain is worn out when you cannot adjust it any more either on the head adjuster or the adjuster on the lower rear of the barrel.

To measure it you have to split the cases so when you are that far in a new cam chain a well worth while addition. If it is a very well used engine replacing the lowerand upper cam sprockets is a good idea as well (just a bit expensive)

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
Well your right according to the Honda book. I was looking for an easy ' count the links and measure ' type of spec, but that would be too simple.

I can just use a degree wheel to check, as the chain stretches, the valve timing will retard. I really didn't want to go through the whole setup to do that.

Funny that the chain and gears cost more for the XR80 than for a typical V-8 engine.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…