Nov 21, 2006
Can anyone tell me what the static timing,and point gap,setting should be on a 1971 AJS 410 Stormer? No manual available,so I set it per BSA specs.After all,its British, right? BIG mistake! Gave the kicker a boot. :yikes: Now I'm going to be hobbling for at least a week. :bang:
Cheers
Bruce

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
Glad to see another Stormer owner on this forum.
Are you sure it's a 410? In 1971 they only made a 250 and a 370. The 410 didn't come in until about 1972-73. The 410 motor can be recognized by an aluminum spacer plate about 3/8-inch thick fitted between the cylinder jug and the crankcase. It matters: the 410 uses a different timing setting.
The static timing for the 410 is 20-22 degrees BTDC, which works out to 0.125-inch BTDC at the piston. For all other Stormers, the timing setting is 0.100-inch. For all Stormers, the point setting is 0,015-inch. Use an N3 Champion plug or equivalent gapped at 0.025-inch.
The big Ajays will kick back hard every once in awhile, even when properly timed. I start mine like a big 4-stroke i.e. get the piston just past TDC and then kick it like you mean business. Mine still bites me once in awhile.
Hope this helps. If you need any more info, just ask.
Mike

Nov 21, 2006
Thanks,Mike.Not sure about the year. That's what I was told. Unfortunatly,it's not my bike.I say unfortunatly,because its a very cool bike. It was brought to me to work on, because I'm a Brit bike guy,and a vintage dirt biker.None of the shops he called had ever heard of an AJS. :(

This thing looks like it has very Maico-like frame geometry. The shocks are mounted a lot further forward on the swingarm than anything else back then,and it has leading axle forks. I can't wait to get this thing running,and take it for a ride! :cool:

Thanks for the ID tips. I'll find out for sure what I am working on,and than get back to you with more stupid questions. :laugh:

Cheers
Bruce

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
Bruce:

AJS was for sure far ahead of its time, with forward-mounted shocks and leading axle forks before 1970! And check out the other unique features such as the chain adjustment, and the piston ring type seals on the brake drums to keep out mud and water.

It was a shame that Norton-Villiers was going broke by that time and could not afford to build an updated engine to go with the cutting-edge frame and running gear. But the funky engine is part of the charm for Stormer fans. It will run well if you take the time to learn its quirks.

AJS is still in business. A gentleman named Fluff Brown, who was one of the engineers who developed the Stormer, bought all rights to AJS from Norton-Villiers shortly before they went belly-up. His son runs the company now, and they have near 100% parts availability for the Stormer.

See my (non-commercial) web page for Stormer history and info.

Mike

Nov 21, 2006
Mike,
Thanks for your advise. Ajay started first kick.I had already cleaned carb,dressed points,and fitted a fresh B8ES,so when she snapped back at me that first day,I knew I was close.Unfortunately, the owner had the bike sold,and came and picked it up Saturday night,so I was only able to take it up the street a couple of times.Thats about all I dared,with the unmuffled expansion chamber drawing dagger glares from my neighbors!
The clutch was slipping a bit,so I couldn't get a real feel for the power,but the engine had good throttle response,and showed real promise.
The chain is shot,the shocks are shot(!Girlings!They must have been shot for a long time!),and the fork seals are leaking. The seat has a brand new duct tape upholstery job,so it's good to go. :laugh: Mudguards look to be from a late '70s RM. Just the kind of bike I like to rescue. I wish I had known he was selling, I might have made a bid.

There's a '71 370 on e bay, supposedly restored by AJS expert,in Wisconsin. Know anything about the bike? Reserve is $1500.00.
What is a fair price for these beasts. I would really be more interested in a 250,if there are any around.(Guess I'm bit by the Ajay bug!)

By the way, the bike was a 410. The spacer plate was present.I meant to get some numbers off it,and see if you could give me more info, but when the owner came to pick it up,I forgot.

:cool:
Cheers,
Bruce

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
I don't know anything about the bike on ****. I always hesitate to say what a vintage bike is worth. I've seen decent Ajays go for anywhere from $1000 all the way up to $3500. The nice thing is if you find a ratty one someplace you can get anything you need from AJS-UK to fix it up. The 250 is probably the best of the Ajays-- the engine is the most dependable of the 3 models.
Mike

Top Bottom