Tip for those trying to jet their bike....

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Make sure your carb is clean!!!!

I've got about 20 hours on my new top end and have been tinkering with jetting after each ride. I've been confident that my main jet was rich enough to avoid catastrophy, but recently wondered if I could see more power with a step up. Also, the weather just got a little cooler so I decided to go for it.

I was shocked to see the gunk built up in my factory main jet. Keep in mind, this carb was totally cleaned just 20 hours ago. I also swapped filters maybe 3 times throughout this 20 hours (keep spare clean ones on hand). My fuel is C12 with Klotz premix, I keep the mixxer clean and my tank is clean.

I think I've been heavy on the filter oil and this is what has caused the deposits to develop, but I never would have thought it could get this bad so quick. The main jet was really restricted.

By changing a size up and totally cleaning the carb again, the bike picked up some noticable power. Anyway, just an fyi, if you think your carb is clean enough (like I did), it may be worth another look.

Micah

ecy063

Sep 15, 2005
To help keep our bikes' carb clean I use a two gallon gas can at the track, fresh fuel every weekend. I was shocked to see how many riders carry old gas cans with no caps or missing vent covers. As part my monthly maintanence I remove the carb bowl drain and turn on the petcock and let the fuel flow thru.

Top Bottom