Tips on washing your bike?

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Does any one have some tips on wahing your bike? This is what I do, but I can never get it as clean as other peoples bikes are before races and stuff. This is what I do .When I get done riding for the day I take my bike outside, put it one the stand and grab the pressure washer. I cleean all the dirt off from everything then blow some water throught the radiator from 4-5 feet away,. but it still isn't getting shiny or anything. Any tips?

BadMotoWeazal

Aug 21, 2004
A pressure washer will never get a bike as clean as somebody that takes the time to wash it by hand. I use a small "wheel brush" from an auto parts store & use it anywhere it will fit. I spray the motor with WD 50, & the plastic with the cheapest off-brand plastic protectant(son of a gun or armor-all).

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I got this tip from a guy at an MX school...

Get "XL1" motorcycle wash. Put it in a cheap pressure sprayer, you know, the $10 kind you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. Mix it one part XL1, one part water. (I dilute it a little more than that because I'm cheap.)

Spray this all over your bike. (You might want to get the big chunks off first with a hose.) Wait a few minutes, then squirt it all off. Done. You'll be amazed. You may need a brush for the tough spots, but that's about it. I've never needed to use a pressure washer on my bike.

You should probably lay the bike on its side and clean the underbelly/swingarm of the bike in the same way.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
soap and water- and elbo grease-lol
just spraying them down doesn't cut it you need a cloth -old towels ect....

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Same as Okie a quick soak with some Simple Green/Water (50/50) combo and then a date with the pressure washer. I've never had trouble getting them spotless, sure I could shine em to show room lustre by hand but I plan to ride it again the next day. Usually when I'm about to sell the bike it gets stripped to the frame so there is not a spot on the bike anywhere after I am done cleaning and prepping for sale.

Evins

Jun 7, 2006
take it to one of those hand carwash stations. They have a preeure washer with soap in it. That should get it pretty clean. Then when you get home get a rag and a all porpuse cleaner and spray it dovn where it didn't get it off.

Feb 13, 2007
I unhook the hot water hose from the washing machine and hook up my garden hose and a spray attatchment. I spray off all the big chunky stuff and dust, then soak it in Simple green, wait a few minutes and go to town with a big brush a wheel brush and tooth brushes, I will also use a rag and an old drum stick to get tight spots. I then rinse it with warm water, it breaks up the grease and oils bette, and evaporates quicker. Then I get out the leaf blower and dry it. Then I get out the spray Turtle wax and do all the plastic and painted surfaces, don't get it on your levers or foot pegs though. If I have a Mud ride coming up the whole under side of the bike and the pipe(even if I'm not mud riding)gets the old dollar store no stick cooking spray. The extra time spent hand washing wil save that much time repacking bearings, after you blow the already minimal amount of grease that comes from the factory out of the linkage and wheel bearings.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001

I have got about a dozen or so bikes that need to visit your house.

I try to find a big water puddle on the way to the truck, what doesnt come off then will fall off once it dries up and I ride again.

Actually, I knock the big stuff off with a garden hose, then use Pro Clean 1:1 with water, it is amazing, no soaking required. Once the bike is clean I run it, in the yard at low speeds and dragging brakes for about 2 minutes. I then use compressed air to chase the little water puddles away.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Okiewan said:
There is NO WAY I have the time to clean it by hand.

I don't believe that for a minute! The photo's of your bikes would seem to indicate a little more love from time to time.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
Low power pressure wash to get the big stuff then use S-100 rub in let it soak and then rinse it off.

skyhigh230

Mar 21, 2007
pressure wash the big mud then spray the whole bike down with charlies all purpose soap or tire shine and then pressure wash it again after that use the charlies soap and a tooth brush and scrub the engine as much as you can if it still isnt shiny take the bike apart and clean it while apart with a brush and soap then after that or if it was clean before that spay the plastics down with WD40- it keeps mud from sticking and staining the plastics.

Mar 16, 2007
dude if all your using is a pressure washer its not going to get the job done. you need to get out a bucket fill it with water and soap and grab a rag and clean the thing. A pressure washer makes it that much easier. pressure wash it and give it a good spray down. than wash it with your rag, than rinse with the pressure washer again.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I just hose it off, while the mud is still wet.

then wash it with some care wash stuff.

just as long as there's no large chunks, I'm fine.

it's called a DIRT bike for a reason, you know! :nener:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…