To Clutch, or not to Clutch???

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I was told by a couple moto head friends of mine that I don't need to use the clutch when downshifting on the trails, especially if there is barely any load on the motor. Like when I come into a corner a gear high, or run into some obstacle(s) and want to downshift into 2nd from 3rd or 4th. They said it's probably harder on the tranny when accelerating and winding out in 2nd and 3rd and using the clutch than it is downshifting when the motor isn't revving. Obviously you don't want to go down too far where you immediately wind out and stress the motor, but a simple downclick to get in the zone is good. This technique also allows for a rider to keep his left hand more securely on the bars when cornering or going slow in the nasties.

Here's my question?? :debil: Is this right?? I started doing it and it seemed to work fine, but before I make it a constant practice I wanted to get some feedback.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am old, fat and slow, but I never use clutch except to take off or to get out of a bad place. On my fourth KDX, started with a new 175 when they first came out. Great bikes.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
What you've described is pretty much what I do. I don't know if it's "right" or not:)

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
Cudmak, look at it from a different point of view. Do you think that all those other riders out there ever use the clutch when they run at hare scrambles e.t.c. ? I don't think they do, as a matter of fact they don't have the luxury or the time to do that. They only use the clutch when starting and on some other occasions, but other than that, they seldom do. Ok I am not saying its a good thing, in other words, I am not saying it's not bad for the tranny, but even though the KDX is not a MX bike, still the tranny is built in a way that it can take "raw" shifting even though it will need servicing/repair quicker than a MX tranny. So, as long as you don't overdo it, like for example downshifting from 5th to 1st all of a sudden without lowering your speed accordingly, it's ok!
If possible try to open the throttle a little bit the moment you downshift. It helps to smoothen the gear change...

Crispie0

May 2, 2002
I don't use the clutch either when I downshift. Haven't had any problems. It saves my fingers from fatigue.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Hey Crispie, I see you're in Mlps. Where do you ride most often? I'm looking for more places to go closer to home. I'm not a track guy, more of a trails and ditch banger. I normally ride in Park Rapids, have a cabin up there.

Seeya

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I've been,"banging" gears on bikes since '69, I rarely use the clutch up or down shifting, just in rare cases, like to bring it back on the pipe or some hills. Been in a million MX,SX, HS, Enduro's, never popped a gear or a trans. I do change the gear oil a lot, (@100 miles or each race)
But, there's always a chance you can do damage, with or without the clutch
Joe
2001 KDX 200
2000 ATK125
2-TTR 125 Boy"A"'s and "B"'s
Falling is like a reality check, it lets you know your not as fast as you thought!! :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…