captbly99

May 30, 2005
OK, So, I finally did a top end job on my KDX, probably never been done, replaced piston and all that, got it back together, cranked it up, felt the kick back on the kick starter from good compresion and was like oh yeah baby! Took it for a lap around the hood, about 3/4 mile later, lost all compression!
Took it back apart, circlip came off :yikes: Tore up my new piston and rings and put deep grooves in cylinder walls :pissed: What ended up being a job to save $150 bucks is costing me $300 -$500 :bang: Any ideas?
Any body got a descent used cylinder laying around? I guess I am looking at resleeving, I need to call Fredette Tuesday morning and see what he recommends.
Oh yeah, has this EVER happened to anyone else, cause I am beating myself up BIG time over this!
Thanks for any support!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I Read in these post about a week or so ago about the exact same thing happening. He found a new/Used cylinder for around $325. Those circlips have to be put in a certain way or they cause damage like you have. Heres the post I found

Makeshoes

Registered
Bike(s): '02 KDX200, '01 KDX200, '03 KX100 Join Date: Nov 2004

Member #: 56914

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I have the answer now. A circlip came out! Chewed up piston and cylinder. I pushed on it around the periphery at least a dozen times to make sure it was fully seated. So now what. 1) Sleeve or 2) Repair or 3) Replace. Can you give me some $ estimates on what you have done from personal experience. My son has talked about moving to a full MX bike so I will have to throw that into the mix to help make the final decision. Thanks for your help.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Yet another Circlip story-But how to install

Once after installing a brand new wiseco piston and top-end in my 00 CR125, I started it up and ran it at idle, then after about 1 minute it blew up and died. Oh crap I thought! I immediately tore it all back down, and realized it sucked the circlip right out, and ran it up and down the cylinder walls real nicely. I put the circlip in all the way, but I forgot to turn the circlip so the end wouldn't be sticking up in the groove. So I had to send my cylinder out to US Chrome to have it replated, cuz it had deep gouges in the walls. I took the whole motor out, and flushed out the lower end with parts cleaner, and tipped it upside down to get the circlip pieces out. Then I had to buy another top-end kit. That was one expesive top-end job I did. I really hate doing things twice.
Note: The above was copied from another member

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2001
Ask Jeff about turning the 200 cylender into a 220. It will require some porting work but is the best mod I have ever made. The additional costs were nominal compared to just replating. The power gains are very very impressive. There is so much more power up off the bottom and the motor never seems to stop pulling throughout the entire range. Good Luck!

A plating job without repair work is around $180, if repairs are needed it just goes up from there. I don't remember fro sure what the boring and porting work added but I think it was in the $125-150 range. If you are going to cut the bike loose, a plating job will be your best choice or find a used cylender. Either way you will be buying a new piston kit.

Last edited:

captbly99

May 30, 2005
Well, I called Jeff today, he said he thinks he has a good used cylinder and piston I could use, $220 w/ my core(maybe alittle less if the cylinder isn't "perfect", but good enough to use), I might go that route because it is the most economical.He said he has 2 engines there he just needs to tear apart and look at them. Hopefully will just need new rings and order a set of extra circlips incase I have trouble seating the new ones. I really would like to go to the 220, but don't really want to spend the extra $, I guess I won't know what I am missing! I am happy with the 200. I have owned this bike for 8 years and this is the most it has EVER cost me, so I am making up for it now! :bang:

Makeshoes

Nov 9, 2004
Yes, I am the one Green Hornet quoted. It happened to me! Exactly as you described. Circlip came out and tore up the cylinder. I did in fact buy a new cylinder $325 and found someone to give my $75 for my core. So $250 for new vs. $$$ for other options, I chose new. When this happened to me, I had installed one circlip and then slid the piston into the cylinder. Then installed all of that onto the crankshaft. I didn't do this the second time. Without the cylinder, you can get much closer and see much easier the piston/circlip areas. I also sat at my kitchen table, and practiced installing circlip until I had a system. I bought a "pick set", and used the right angle pick for the circlip installation. Worked for me. Good Luck!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom