Top End Reuild Gone Bad

JKM

Feb 26, 2000
My son and I recently replaced piston, rings, ect. on our 2000 kdx 220, put it back together and started it up and cooled it down a few times and everything seemed to be fine. When I started to run it hard it just died.Sounded like it seized.Anyway I tore it apart again and one of the circlips had popped out and jumped all around in the cylinder scarring both sides. The circlip appears to be all there but alittle staightend out and was stuck in the cylinder wall.My questions are do you think its better to replate the cylinder or boar and sleeve it? And what about spitting the cases to look for some small metal fragments? Thanks for replies

JKM

Feb 26, 2000
Top End Rebuild Gone Bad

My son and I recently rebuilt the top end on our 2000 kdx 220.Everything seemed to go fine.It started right up ran well. We warmed it up and cooled it down a bunch of times, but when I started to open the throttle up alittle bit it just shut down.So I took it apart again and one of the circlips had popped out and jumped all over inside the clyinder wall, scarring both sides and becoming lodged in one side of the cylinder wall.My questions are, do you think it is better to bore and sleeve or replate? and because I still have what appears to be all of the ciclip do you think it nessesary to split the cases and look for more?Thanks for your replies

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Does it look like pieces of the cylinder came off when the clip gouged it? If so I'd split the cases. You might get away with flipping the motor upside down and flushing the crank out. I'd be more concerned if the pistion shattered. That would require splitting the cases. And replate instead of sleeving it for sure. US Chrome does a great job.

JKM

Feb 26, 2000
RM Guy, it looks like the piston is intact it just has some scars in it. I showed it to the local Kawi mechanic and he suggested splitting the cases.I will look it over more carefully with bright lights and maybe flush it out. I just hate to spend so much money as the bike is hardly ever ridden anymore. Thanks for the advice.

bentbars

Nov 9, 2004
i would suggest the flush trick. what i have done in the past is dump a little premixed fuel in the bottom end and then flip the motor over and drain it out. not sure if this is the right way, but it worked for me.

JKM

Feb 26, 2000
Thanks for the advice. I sent the cylinder off today. But I am going to have the dealer split the cases and look inside because the gouges were pretty deep on the cylinder walls and It would always have me thinking that maybe something was in there trying to find it's way out.I had never had this happen before but doing top ends but when I was calling around to different cylinder repair shops they said it is fairly common. I hope not.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…