Top End

Powerlock25

Jan 21, 2005
After searching the google and not finding anything concrete, I am wondering:
How does one know when it is time for a topend job? does the bike just not start, does it blow lots of smoke?
I have a 1998 KDX220R and have put new tires, chain, and sprockets on it. Do I do the topend when I run out of having anything else to do to the bike? According to the previous owner - he did the topend 1 year ago.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

you could do a compression check, but if the bike has 2-3years on the top end it's probably time unless it rarely ridden. In your case if it rund and starts good and the top end is a year old then you may be OK. Another general rule if you ride quite a bit is put a piston and rings in it each off season, de glaze the cylinder -clean the power valves and check the rod for up and down play. wiseco is recommended for the 220's.

Barkeater420

Mar 4, 2003
How much do you ride?

Some can make a KDX topend last ten years.

Others will have to do rings one season and a full job the next.

Edit: at the very least the powervalve should be taken apart, cleaned and gone through every season or two.

bentbars

Nov 9, 2004
IMO, tear it down and inspect it. then you will know for sure if it is wore out. especially if bike is new to you. gives you peace of mind.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…