Torque wrenches, what to buy?

BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
I'm starting to work more and more on my bike and I don't own any torque wrenches...

I was wondering what range(s) of wrenches are best for our bikes and also what brands you guys like. I'm excited to buy but don't want to get the wrong thing.

Keep in mind I'm not rich, BUT I don't want a cheap piece of junk either. :thumb:

Thanks! :worship:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I bought the Sears Craftsman Model 44594. it is a 3/8" drive 10 to 75 ftlbs (16.9- 105.1 n). I was in the situation similar to you couldn't justify a SNAPON but didn't want another dial wrench. I am very happy so far with this one and have used my neoghbors SNAPON to check the calibration occasionally (he gets his calibrated by the company regularily).
I bought it when Sears had a 25% off sale on all the tools you could fit in a shopping bag so it was only about 45$.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I've got a 3/8 snapon and a 1/2" made by CDI torque (a snapon company). I personally don't trust anything else but then again I use those things everyday at work. For you that craftsman oldguy mentioned would do great. A 10-75 range is all you need for bikes. The only time you need anything larger is for the axle nut...but most people just wrench on them till they're "really tight" :)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
It's hard to beat Craftsman. Do NOT buy a cheap one from somewhere like Harbor Freight. I did, and it might as well be a baseball bat. No where near acurate.

BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
Thanks guys, I think I will go with the Craftsman that oldguy suggested. I have always been happy with craftsman tools.

Thanks again! :yeehaw:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…