85YZRacer

Aug 7, 2006
This is probably a dumb question but i am trying to torque down the cylinder and the cylinder nuts are sort of tucked into the cylinder and can't be reached with a torque wrench. I dont want to do it by hand with just a wrench because i dont know what 40 foot pounds feels like just yet. Is there a special tool i can use or should i just let yamaha do it?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

Attachments

• 229.jpg
    229.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 179

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I'm bad. I've always just used a short wrench and tapped with hammer, trying to tap same number of times on each nut, just guessing at torque value. It has always worked, but I, too, have pondered buying something to actually use torque wrench on. My question is: with the adapter wrench pictured, do you use math formula to figure torque on the bolt because of the increased moment arm??

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
2strokerfun said:
My question is: with the adapter wrench pictured, do you use math formula to figure torque on the bolt because of the increased moment arm??

Rich's link indicates the wrench comes with a chart for conversions.

Imack

May 3, 2006
I know exactly what the problem is...!

The way how to resolve this in a simple way is applying the principles of torque. If you use a lever 1 foot long and apply 10 pounds to the end, you'll be able to apply a 10 ft-lbs torque. So in the same way, if the lever (wrench) is 6" long a force of 20 lbs at the end will be equivalent to 10 ft-lbs. The formula is lenght x force. Ok when I find these difficult to reach cyclinder nuts, I take my 12 mm wrench, about 8 inches long, take my fish weighting scale, and hook the scale to the end of the wrench, holding always the force perpendicular to the wrench. If these bolts take 20 ft-lbs, then I find the force to apply this way. 8"/12"=.75 20/.75=26.6 So, you apply 26.6 lbs of force at the end of the wrench and you'll have 20 ft-lbs. Or, you can put the wrench inside a pipe and make the length 1 ft, then appply 20 lbs at the end.. Easy man...!

Top Bottom