sabooo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 2002
Been there once, but had a great time. Place is just plain HUGE, so even when there's a thousand people there its not crowded. you couldn't ride all the trails here in a week, from what I saw :) Only difficult thing would be hooking up with a member to sign you in as a guest, although I suspect we have lots of members here who'd be willing.

Cheers,
Sabooo

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I have herd they have lost alot of area between last year and this year. I have no comfirmation yet, just here say from members and riders. The place has always been awesome to ride though. Just trying to stay with in the boundries is hard though cause Last time I was up there stuff was not marked well, they just gave you a map and siad you would be kicked out if you went off the allowed area :( . Lots of stuff for the family though, kiddie tracks and what not.

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
I'm an officer and the web master for the Tower City club and would be happy to show you guys around. We did lose a small amount of land last year, but when you consider the size of the land we lease (appox. 12,000 acres), it was just a drop in the bucket !!! It took me a good year to ride all that was available at Tower City and I know there are still more trails I haven't yet found and trails that can be cut. I'd say there is approximately 300 miles of cut trails within the acreage we lease, and the club cuts new trails every year. You name the riding you like to do and Tower City has it: single track, tight single track, ignorant single track, goat trails, fire-roads, HILL CLIMBS (and I mean BIG hill climbs and lot's of em), quad trails. There are places that are real rocky and there are sections with beautiful loam.

People only get kicked out for doing really, really stupid things (riding on public roads, donuts, wheelies and blazing speed through the camp roads and parking lots). The trails are well marked, but I agree the boundaries can be fuzzy, and that's why we recommend new riders accompany a member. We lease the land from the owner who also coal mines much of the area. There are places with active mines and "clean" coal that you need to avoid. We catch riders riding in "clean" already processed coal and that's a big no-no. We don't kick riders out for riding out of bounds the first time. We're lenient enough to give warnings, but repeat offenders will get us in trouble with the owner and township and thus we don't hesitate to kick out trouble makers.

In the summer the place does get packed, but with all the land you just don't run into that many other riders. There is plenty of day parking, so It's not like you'd come and not have a place to park.

If anyone wants to come up for a weekend and check it out, I'd be happy to show you around. I live about 20 minutes from Tower City and ride nearly every weekend. Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Sounds great Matt. How 'bout a DRN ride at Tower City?

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
I'm up for a DRN ride at Tower City if everyone else is? What dates should we look at in May? I tried to organize this type of ride before but most people never committed. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if anyone is interested and I'll work out the details with the club if enough people reply.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah I would love to come up to TC, its been to long. It would be great to come up and do a nice fast paced long distance two wheeler ride up there with some one who knows there way around.
So can you come up and ride the day or do you have to be a guest of a member?
Looking at some of the chatter on the boards on the TC site it still looks like camping spots are hard to come by and I really dont want to drop the $ for a membership when I only want to come up maybe 4 to 6 days a year.

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
You can ride for the day but you must be sponsored by a member. If you only plan on riding at Tower City 4-6 times per year and don't feel it's worth putting down the $200 for a membership, I would be happy to sponsor you when you want to ride. I ride nearly every weekend. You have to think about this though, 5 day rides X $30/day fee = $180. Membership is a mere $20 more :think: . Yes, campsites are hard to come by. You have to find an empty lot, and you will probably have to clear out trees and rocks. Most of the free space as been accounted for, so you really need to be creative to find your own little camp site at Tower City.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
So, lets pick a day in late May or early June and have a DRN TC ride.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
That sounds good, I'll go if I'm free on what ever weekend you pick. I've been up there once. And I definetly remember one trail, 4 miles of whoops!! That will tire anybody out. If you haven't been there before, bring your skid plate and bark busters.

Chris426

Nov 30, 2000
I'm in for a group ride too. There's a few others that I ride with who are TC members here in DE, so you can probably add add another six people. Just need a date, and looking forward to it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom