TPS adjustment

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
I finally found the little torx with the dimple/hole in the end. 20 bucks and ya gotta buy the whole set. Oh well. I gottem now. Anyway, I played with it a bit last night. It was kinda wierd.
I did this with the engine running so I would know how this was effecting the timing at idle. I rotated it counter clockwise about 3 minutes, and it started idling a lot faster, I continued the same direction and it slowed. So I went the other way with it, it spead back up, and then slowed down again as I moved past that spot, the continued clockwise until the end of the adjustment and no change. All the while I was blipping the throttle to see how it acted. All the way clockwise, it stumbed badly. All the way counter clockwise it stumbled badle. It stumbled a little when really wacked hard at the stock postion. At about 3 minutes counter clockwise from stock, the postion where it idle up, it seemed to not stumble as much when really wacked open. I was also able to turn the idle down for a reasonable idle speed too. I then started to play with the pilot screw after resetting the TPS. I noticed that it smoothed the idle out, when leaned. I also found the engine would idle for about twice as long with out puking out the coolant with these settings. I havent ridden it around the track yet, but up and down the street, it seemed smoother off the bottom.
By the way, my neighbors now love me. The crack of the Thunder Alley at 9pm on a weeknight doesnt seem to bring out the enthusiasm that it should. Its ok, I invited them to my birthday party, I'll fillem with beer and food, they'll forgive

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
Am I right in thinking that your saying that you rotated a little security torx screw 3 Minutes of angle? jeez a minute of arc :D is 1/60th if a degree! How the hell do you get that kind of accuracy? Mind I am english and might not have got the right end of the stick at all :) (mumble mumble......... why call a tap a fawcet..... mumble mumble gudgeon pin....... wrist pin)

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Shawn, I am interesed in you findings. I know that Ferry's bike has had the TPS removed. Did you ever try to remove it completely? Is it possible without parts?

Did you return it to the original setting?

I have messed with the Bk mod and was pleased with it. My bike is working awesome now and am wondering if I should even mess with it.

B

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
Demo I said three minutes because thats the only way I could describe my movement. What I meant was about the distance 3 minutes would be on the face of a clock. LOL, I never thought of it in your context. That much movement would be confounding if not impossible. Too funny.

Endo, Ive also done the BK mod, but Im just trying to get the thing cleanly off the bottom. Seems like when I just crack the throttle, like over slick corners say with a hump in them, theres no way to control the wheel spin with out the rear brake, and that foot has to be down or out at the same time.
One of the reasons for playing with this is the dang stumble when wacked open hard. I also heard that quite a few TL1000's that came with this type carb, had the TPS mis-set. I can see how the TPS being wrong could cause the stumble off idle. I'll play with it a bit and post my results.
SM

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Ummmmmm, yeaaaaahhhh. I'm gonna need you to put the new cover sheet on the TPS reports from now on. Did you get the memo?

"He's a no-talent ass-clown!"

(name the movie!) (((and sorry to budge in here, couldn't resist)))

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
Ahhhhhh now I understand, yes, 3 minutes on a clock face is a far more managable amount of rotation :)

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
My latest ride yielded something I didnt expect. The mid range pulls extremely hard now. Harder than before. Im wondering if that isnt the result of leaning the pilot circuit. The ingintion timing should be fully advanced at the point of the difference. And I also noticed that it revs to the moon too. My first test ride was out at Saddleback in SoCal. and its really not a place you can wring it out in. Oh well, if you have a YZF, and access to good gas, its definitley worth doing.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…