trailtech motorcycle computer

barrie36

Mar 8, 2004
Hi there,have any of you fellow kdxers got a trailtech computer fitted if so could you tell me what wheel size measurement you used, as i am having a bit of trouble with mine,my measurement was 2198mm,but the bike doesnt go as fast as what the computer reads,please help me its driving me mad :eek:

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I cant remember what size I used on mine - but I just used my gps and adjusted as necessary until they were really close.

You can also do it my distance. Ie - ride 10 miles on the bike and see what the trail tech reads ie 8 miles. You are basically 25% small - adjust accordingly.

That make sense?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
I made a chalk mark on my tire and one on the driveway and then rolled the bike until the chalk mark came around again and was in the same position with the pavementas the first (both as close to 90 deg with the pavement as possible). The piece of my driveway is flat and I measured middle of the first mark to the middle of the second.

On the other hand, this would be the perfect excuse to buy a GPS...Hmm... :-)

Best,
Greg

P.S. Checked when I got home and I have 2094. Maybe I do need a GPS...

Last edited:

barrie36

Mar 8, 2004
thanks guys for your help,will set it up again tmoro,trouble is ive just bought a 01 220,so i wont be using the 200 much ,i shall buy another computer for my new bike so i shouldnt have any trouble next time as theyre the same (i hope).

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Braahp said:
2146 is the magic number.
Just out of curiosity, is that your measurement, or does that come from somewhere else? I installed my Trail Tech today and I want to get it as accurate as possible.

barrie36

Mar 8, 2004
I put 2146 in my computer but its still reading fast ,i cant understand why as i have fitted everything as it should be ,any ideas guys?

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
I read in the trailtech manual that if you have the magnet in the wrong spot the pickup cable picks it up twice so you will get double the speed on your read out. Mine seems to be doubling my mileage but the speed goes haywire (it says 100mph then 30mph then 60mph - while my speed is steady.
Clean the contacts where the computer snaps onto the bike. Didn't work for me but maybe it will for you.

peterryan01

May 6, 2003
When I installed my TrailTech, I measured my tire, and it seems to be about 2134mm. It really depends on what tire you are running... I don't see how there could be a 'magic number' if everyone has different tires. Is it possible that you have it set to read KPH instead of MPH? If that is the case, your numbers will be very different.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003

Like someone else posted, I'd check that you don't have your magnet going through the dead spot/center of the pickup or maybe you have a bad pickup. My mileage readings are consistent once the wheel is rotating at a decent RPM for a long enough sample (usually only a couple seconds).

Barrie,

The way I look at it, all the speedometer/odometer is doing is counting RPM and then multiplying by the the number off mm we enter as the effective circumference of the tire and then doing the math to convert the units to miles/km. The most exact number would be to use a GPS to help dial in the number of mm that would give the Trailtech the best approximation. I used the cirumference of the tire gathered by a chalk line or there's always the diameter * PI. Those measurements wont be as exact as what the GPS can help derive because anything dynamic (air in the tire heating up, tire wear over time, etc) that affects the diameter of the tire won't be measured in a static measurement.

Best,
Greg

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
gwhII,
I've moved the cable pickup a few times. I had the magnet passing the end of the cable. Now I have it 1/4 from the end (bottom) of the cable. When I spin the wheel by hand the speedo is consistent (8mph or so). When I start the bike and ride it goes haywire. The accumulated hours are correct though. And it worked fine when I got it last May.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
88KDX
Maybe the ignition is screwing it up? Try spinning the wheel by hand while the motor is running, or try pulling in the clutch and hitting the kill button while out riding and see if there is a difference. If you aren't using a resisitor plug, this might be the problem

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
88KDX,

Your pickup sounds OK to me. If you're getting consistent numbers while spinning it, I'd agree that its working. I'm with skipro. Have you changed the type plug you were using? I've always found radios, TVs, cel phones, and cordless phones real sensitive to RF so do any of those act up when your KDX is running?

Another thought would be vibration. Get someone to rotate the tire and then try wiggling lightly where the pickup and the cable join and where the computer base and the other end join. Maybe there's some kind of short.

Last thought would be new batteries. Maybe the installed ones are getting old.

Good luck,
Greg

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
88KDX,

Just for grins I looked at www.ngk.com and your standard plug is a B9ES. Could you have run a BR* plug last summer?

Best,
Greg

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Try sending an email to Trail Tech! I had some problems with my Panoram (that is the older model since replaced with the Endurance) a few years ago - they were super to deal with and very helpful!

I had some similar issues - seemed to be battery contact related, but they ended up replacing my unit free of charge.

http://www.trailtech.net/

their email address:

[email protected]

Last edited:

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I tried mine out for the first time today...the fastest trail speed I saw was 45 mph and I ended up going on a 88 mile trip! :eek: I think I need to do a little adjusting...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom