tranny oil leak

dirttastesgr8

Feb 19, 2001
I have a 93 CR 125. I have noticed recently that a smal puddle of tranny oil is forming underneath the bike. I traced the drip to the countershaft (the front sprocket had a drop of the oil on it). Is this just a bad seal? I just had the motor rebuilt last spring (and still owe my buddy for it!) and the seals are all new. Would adding a leakstopper additive to the transmission oil help? Or do I have to replace that seal? The bike has probably only about 2 hours on it since the rebuild.

dirttastesgr8

Feb 19, 2001
Doh! :eek: I thought I would have to do some major disassembly to get to that seal. So all I have to do is remove the front sprocket to get at it?

B

biglou

That sounds about right. I am not sure about this particular model, but yes, just pop the countershaft sprocket off and then you can remove the old seal (pry it out with a screwdriver, but be careful not to nick the seating surface of the case hole, etc.) and tap the new one in with a rubber mallet. Work you way around the seal, don't try to tap one side in all the way and then go to the other side. Just tap it in a little at a time as you work your way around it. I also smear a dab of grease on the coutershaft where the seal will contact it to help prevent it from snagging the new seal.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
not sure on honda's but kawi's have a little bushing that wear's out also? if there's one, check it for grooving.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…