Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
Alright. Here's the issue but before I get some smart A$$ response and have someone tell me to do a search, I already did and I didn't find anything too too similar. Anyways. I have a problem with my clutch . I adjusted it and it's releasing really late and seems as if it's slipping so I believe I need some new plates. Correct me if I am wrong. Anyways. My transmission oil after an hour ride or so does not leak out of the oil level check bolt. The oil just somehow isn't there any more. I can't find any signs of a leak anywhere. Is it possible that the worn clutch plates are somehow burning the oil or is this another problem as well?? Need help please. THanks guys

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You may have leaking seals.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Crank seals? One side will leak into the stator cover area, the other will leak into the crankcase never to be seen again. Except maybe a little more smoke out the pipe. Also check crank bearings. Bad bearings may also cause seals to leak.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If your bike has an exhaust bridge, you should fix that crank seal probelm ASAP. Clutch debris in the oil sticks to the hot exhaust bridge and grind away at your piston. I wore a pretty deep groove in my piston in a very short time (about 4-6 hours) as a result of a bad crank seal. A new seal is less than $10. There is a spacer that the seal rides on, this sometimes develops grooves and may need to be replaced.

On to the clutch problem, pull the cover and inspect. Your service manual will publish specs for all of the friction and clutch plates. Check the basket for notches.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
To do a crank seal, you generally have to remove the right side engine cover, the clutch basket, and the crankshaft gear. It's not that hard of work if you have an impact wrench. Then, you drill holes in the seal and install sheet metal screws in the seal and pry/pull the seal out. This is the hardest part. Parts you'll need are generally a quart of oil, coolant, a water pump cover gasket, side cover gasket, washer with the bendy tabs on it that goes under the clutch hub retaining nut(I can never remember the names for these), the seal, and maybe the spacer.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
Do I actually need an impact wrench?? or is it not too too hard to do it without. Is there a chance that the clutch plate is burning the oil at all?? I need to replace that as well. I don't know if I should just bring it in or not.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you don't have one, you'll have to devise a way to lock up the engine while knock the bolts loose/tighten them. I've had success sticking a piece of lead between the primary gear of the crankshaft and clutch gear while loosening the primary drive gear. To do the clutch hub, if the engine is installed in the frame, you can put the transmission in gear and use the brake and a buddy or something to hold the rear wheel so the transmission doesn't turn. They make a special tool that can be used to lock up the transmission it grabs on to the inner clutch hub. Just don't use a prybar between the clutch outer hub fingers and the inner hub, a friend broke a finger off attempting this technique. That is a $200 whoops.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
that sucks. I don't have an impact wrench and I don't want to get one because my father has one and I wouldn't use it after this job. I also don't want to have everything out and not be able to take that gear off. I think i may bring in to get serviced. i got quoted ridiculous amounts of time like 3 hours labor and maybe 8 and another shop quoted me at 5 hours and another 2 but they are booked up till mid July. I am gonna keep calling around hopfully I find a better quote. The shop rates are $85 per hlour canadian. And the canadian dollar ain't far behind the american dollar. Do you guys think it really takes this long to do the crank seals?

01 wr250f

Jun 18, 2007
i have a 2001 wr250f and am new to dirt biking. my bike is equiped with a auto cluch(sentfifical) and i was woundering about the transmission oil and fi it needs changing the manual says nothing about it. dose the engine oil lubricate the trany

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Search for "leak down test"

Top Bottom