Trans Capacity?

Aug 15, 2004
The book says to fill the trans with 650ml of fluid and that the level should be between the two marks on the site window with the bike perpendicular to the ground. Well, 650ml is way too much to get that reading in the window. I get a perfect reading at around 550ml. Right in the middle of the window. Is the book that off the mark or am I OK with this amount??

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Most people put the entire quart in. It doesn't seem to hurt anything and actually helps keep the noise down and allows me to get neutral easier. Fredette himself does this ......

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
4 strokers use the same oil for everything and that can cause a bad situation because it is pressurized, a 2 stoker only uses it for clutch operation and I nor anyone else who uses a entire quart have not had any ill effects from doing this to my knowledge. If you don't feel comfortable using a entire quart in your clutch, then by all means, don't do it. Like I said, I have only had good results from doing it.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Another full quart user here too. BTW, when i drained my KDX overnight, then pulled off the clutch side cover, there was still quite a bit of oil still in there! So technically, I guess I'm running even more than a quart! Nothing but good results for me.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
550 is NOT enough.

Use 100 or so from a quart to flush the trans (put that in with the drain plug still out).

Plug it back up, put the remainder of the quart (850 or so) in.

re: same oil for everything.

Don't change the oil in your buddy's CRF250! Different oil requirements in the crankcase and tranny. ;)

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Sorry CC... I was thinking Old School! i.e 85 XL350, Never had my hands on a new fangled 4 stroker but if someone wants to donate one... PM me! :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…