zamunda

Feb 5, 2003
Just got a used KDX 200 and naturally want to change all the fluids. A previous thread had even suggested ATF fluid.

Wondering just what is the hot ticket for these tranmissions - should I replace with a synthetic oil, or should types only be changed when you're changing out the whole clutch? The manual recommends 10W-40. Is this a standard car crankcase oil or something different?

thanks

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
This has been a topic of much debate as far as what to use, but everyone agrees on one thing: CHANGE IT OFTEN!

Like every two rides. ATF is good to use (Type F), the only Syn. Motor Oil that everyone seems to recommend is Mobil 1 15-50 (red cap). I've ran both with good results. If you ride in the sand a lot, or other extremely high heat/high load conditions, then motorcycle specific 85 or 90W gear oil would be a better choice. Again, change it often. ;)

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
A common observation is that if you change it often, synthetic anything is overkill and probably completely unneccessary, especially in a 2-stroke where transmission oil isn't really exposed to most of the heat of combustion. $0.02

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
IMO, motorcycle trans get hot enough to warranty synthetic oils. Nesassary, maybe not, recommended? That's for you to decide.

zamunda

Feb 5, 2003
OK, thanks for the replies. Found some other threads here that address this issue. Candidates look like a cast of thousands, I'll pick my preference and go. Most importantly, I will change often!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
It comes down to bike performance and personal preference.  We run ATF type F in my son's 99 KX80 and change it every ride.  In my old 86 RM125 I run cheap 10-40 Castrol or whatever 10-40 I can find cheap.  I tired the 10-40 in the KX but it seemed to like the ATF better.  As Faded suggested no matter what you use change it often.  Noticed this was your first post, welcome aboard :thumb:

zamunda

Feb 5, 2003
Chili,
Yup, 51 yrs young, just getting going at this - although not going much until the weather warms up here in Colorado.

Thanks for the welcome.

John

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Good luck and have some "warmer" fun Zamunda :thumb: Feel free to ask questions here. There is a wealth of experience at your finger tips. As well as the possibility to meet many friends. Its the best money I've ever paid for anything in dollar/profit margin. You will find riders of all ages here. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom