transporting my bike in the rain

Billinin

Feb 21, 2007
I hope this is in the right place.....but I'm going to upstate NY on Memorial day from Indiana, and was wondering if I trailer my bike and get caught in the rain or even a down poor, will that somehow mess up something on my bike? I know bikes can get wet, but theres a differance between getting wet and getting drenched in a down poor :) lol......thanks

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
The tie-down straps will get real loose when they get wet. Then you'll tighten them up and they'll dry out and be tighter than a banjo string. Other than that I've never had problems with rain, but then I live in New Mexico.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If it's get's really drenched just be prepared to change the air filter before you ride. Another option is to travel with a Twin Air filter cover in place and keep the filter in the car nice and dry until you get to your destination.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Also plug up the end of the silencer/muffler..

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I've never had a problem transporting/riding in the rain. I've charged some pretty big puddles without issue as well. Depending on your pad compound, your bikes brakes may not work when wet.

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
WATCH OUT i heard Suzuki's melt when they get wet. ;)
just jokin, like the others said it should be fine just watch the air filter and muffler :cool:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
450X said:
WATCH OUT i heard Suzuki's melt when they get wet. ;)
The correct term would be dissolve, since melting is for heat. (Sorry, the engineer in me couldn't resist).

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
my apologies, i cant even make a joke without screwing it up :bang:
i'm from Montana we dont get rain up here so my bike never gets a chance to melt, i mean "dissolve" :laugh:

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
If it's really a consern, go to a home center and buy on of those blue plastice tarps. You can get one for less than ten bucks. I've never covered mine and I always travel with an exhaust pluged.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I have seen a few guys run plastic grocery bags tied around the controls. Keeps water from working it's way under your grips and out of your clutch and throttle cable.

I've personally never had a problem. Grips are glued and safety wired, and cables get lubed fairly regularly. I just figured the rain was a free wash. Now I have an enclosed trailer, so I really don't have to worry about it.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
i have had low quality tie downs (NON Ancra brand) decide to slip in the rain, and make the bike tip over.

If you want to cover the air filter, you could also just use the plastic shower caps with elastic, available anywhere. Also good for washing the bike.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…