Transporting My KX250

rames90

Sep 7, 2000
Does any one tie their bike down for transport using anything other than staps to the handle bars?

I am curious about two things I have found while looking for a better way to do this. The first is the bike shoe, a metal frame for the front wheel with straps to keep the wheel in place. The second is the Acerbis suspension saver, a plastic peice that goes between the tire and lower fork clamp to keep the suspension from compressing too much.

Do either of these work well, or might I look back to see my new bike tumbling down the highway?

Any responses are appreciated.

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
I just cut a piece of wood that was big enough to fit in between the tire and forks. works well 4 me. I get scared thats it gonna fall but, it wont as long as u have the straps on there with something in between the tire and forks.

CR125KID

A Mental Peanut
Jan 31, 2001
i just put a 4x4 in their, and it won't fall out, because i put screws and rubber around the scews sticking out of it. looks like this

-l l

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
All I have ever used is straps, no problem ever. I've even taken a 750 street bike from California to Michigan in the back of a pickup that way no problem. Don't use cheap straps, get good ones. I know some people will say that keeping the shocks compressed will sack the springs, but I've never had a problem with that either.

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
We dont use straps. We built these tire stands for our trailer. It's basically a stand that the front tire slides into and then a hoop atached to the stand goes over top and holds the tire in. We got the idea out of dennis kirk catalog. I'll see about taking a few picts here in the next day or two. These work great because it's not hard on the front forks on long trips.:)

CrazyTed

Jul 26, 1999
ATK Bike Shoe

I use the ATK bike shoe that Holeshot Engineering sells. It clamps the front wheel down great. I use a couple of tie-downs on the foot pegs just to keep her from sliding side to side.....When I used to just tie down the front, I used a 2x4 between the front wheel and the fender to keep the front fork seals from leaking.......

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…