Benifit's upgrading from a 98 kx250 to a newer 2 stroke?

KX250DUNER

Nov 15, 2006
I have a 98 kx250 and alot of my riding buddies have moved to newer bikes and Im wondering if there is any real big advantage? I ride pretty much only in the dunes and desert with this bike and have completly rebuilt it from the ground up this year. I bought it stock last year and got new tires, sprockets, rebuilt suspension set up for my weight by race tech, Renthal Bars, Disk brake and frame gaurds, skidplate, Vforce carbon fiber reeds, PJ carb, FMF exhaust, Brand new plastics, Factory Effex graphics and gripper seatcover, IMS 4.7 gallon tank (HUGE), repainted frame, all new bearings, etc. I tore down the engine last month inspected everything and I bored it for a .4 wiseco piston, put in a new hot rod crank and rod, replaced all the powervalve gears, and inpected tranny and clutch and they were like new. The bike is pretty much brand new and is very quick it beats most 450's. If this bike was your's would you just keep it or upgrade to a new 250 2 stroke for pure desert racing and duning? Thanks for the feedback!

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
If the bikes working for you I would say keep it. It sounds like you've got alot of time and money invested into it but as long as you have fun and like the bike why get a newer one.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
IMO, the only thing you'd get with a newer bike would be suspension and handling. If the bike works for you, keep it!

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
I also say keep it. I think it is fun to beat my friends on there newer 450's. I'll keep my 99 for many more years. More than anything if you like it and are having fun with it there is no need to upgrade IMO. Ed

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I agree, you've already had suspension set up for your size and riding. Why go through all this again? Not sure there is that big of improvement in design between '98 and '07 to warrant the cash outlay since you have put all this work and money in your bike. Of course, about 1/2 the fun for me IS the working on and improving the bike. But spending the money on the parts is not so much fun.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
The 98 kx 250 was one sweet bike to start with. If you are not racing MX, I see no reason to go for a newer bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom