Warsaw

Dec 22, 2007
Hopefully this is the correct place to be posting this...I just bought my bike and ive seen the triangle kickstands but with me welding as much as I do ,Id like to make one ...can anyone tell me with the dimensions on one?

Bob Tiley

Aug 7, 2001
You can make it any size you like - Just measure from the ground up to your axle center hole and subtract 1/2". The height is the only dimension you need to worry about.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Oh, one more thing I almost just remembered. I had a home made triangle stand, you know one of those oxy-aceltalyne jobs with the coat hanger filler. Well it busted when I was lubing my chain and the whole darn Maico 500 fell on my noggin, hard, and I wasn't wearing my helmet. So, wear your helmet at all times, especially when loading the bike into a truck, pick-up, trailer, van, or boat and by all means while lubing the chain.

thanks.

P.S. I meant acetylene

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i bent one up out of half inch metal rod. the OEM one i have has too short of pin that goes in the axle. i made one with a longer pin so when im moving it around in the shop it doesnt fall out on me.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
VD, If I had been there I would have been laughing with you not at you.

By the way you had a quote make it into January 08 American Motorcyclists. Page 15

"The first time I rode a motorcycle...they had wooden wheels."- Wes Baca: old and rusty.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Ain't I just amazing. Make some lucky girl a damn good husband, as long as we wear the same size lingerie.

They lauged even harder when I high sided that sheetbox on the highway at the Sipapu poker run and rubbed all the hide off my dumb ass.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
VD, I thought the triangle's were for jap bikes. Maico's came with big hairy girls and one and a half size milk crates. I do not believe I ever tried oiling the chain with a helmet on. Well I could have got conked and do not remember!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
VD, I thought the triangle's were for jap bikes. Maico's came with big hairy girls and one and a half size milk crates. I do not believe I ever tried oiling the chain with a helmet on. Well I could have got conked and do not remember!
Exactly what I'm sayin' that's why I had the home made triangley stander and those were actually big ol' hairy girls and stolen milk crates stood on end. You should also wear goggles and a cup.

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
Man if you are good at welding then why not just make a full on bike stand, you know the one you lift your entire bike on? They make working on the bike much easier.

Warsaw

Dec 22, 2007
Flux3D said
Man if you are good at welding then why not just make a full on bike stand, you know the one you lift your entire bike on? They make working on the bike much easier.

Yeah i thought of it ..My buddy has one Ill take a look at it and weld one up maybe

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
I welded my triangle stand up for about 6 bucks, it is a lot sturdier than the ones you pay for in the store it seems... Just make sure your angle is right from the beginning because you don't want to bend it and weaken the weld or the metal to get the right angle... :nod:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
DWreck said:
VD, If I had been there I would have been laughing with you not at you.

By the way you had a quote make it into January 08 American Motorcyclists. Page 15

"The first time I rode a motorcycle...they had wooden wheels."- Wes Baca: old and rusty.
His DW03 quote may have been the best of all time,
Having me help is like have your two best guys out sick!

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
Warsaw said:
I was going to make mine out of 3/8 rebar..and actually weld it lol

3/8 is not big enough. At least 7/16, or 1/2 is better.

I made quite a few of them. Takes about 10 minutes to make one with my oxy-acetylene torch and the mig welder. $4 for a piece of steel rod.

Rotor

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Just where does one find a milk crate these days?? Grocers around here got smart and quit stacking them in back of their stores. Damned capitalistic opportunists ...........
I forgot about using coat hangars. My dad used to have a lot of welding rod for chromoly, but I ended up using it for a billion different things, so he never seemed to have any when he needed it.... I played dumb, but I figure if he had just taken a second to glance around the garage he would have seen about 200 pieces of welding rod bent into some shape or other holding something together.

Theres a poor kid down the street that always has to wear a helmet. He also has a tether on a jacket he has to wear all day. I'll bet he's a motorcycle mechanic!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom