triple clamp alignment

gman26

Aug 27, 2004
Is there a trick to getting the triple clamps straight? I put the front end back on my frame and the front wheel is not straight when I hold the bars straight. I loosened the clamps, top and bottom and tried twisting it, however, it wouldn't budge or stay straight.
Thanks!

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
Put the front tire against a tree or garage door frame and whack it once or twice by turning the handlebars. It won't hurt and gives it character.

gman26

Aug 27, 2004
ok, what if I twist and kick and it still doesn't give?
Is there something stuck??

Natester55

Jun 13, 2002
Never heard so much bad front end/suspension advice in my life!!! If you want to align your front end the RIGHT way:

1. Set fork height in top triple clamp properly (I use a dial caliper to do the measurement). Tighten the top clamp only.
2. Mount the front wheel. I tighten the pinch bolts (bottom of the fork to the axle) opposite the axle nut first, then tighten the axle itself.
3. Tighten the pinch bolts on the axle nut side, then LOOSEN the ones opposite the axle nut.
4. Tap (gently) a slim standard screwdriver or other appropriate "wedge" in the slot in the bottom of the fork "pinch clamp" (same side you just loosened) to allow the axle to move freely back and forth.
5. Verify that the fork will also move freely in the LOWER triple clamp by facing the front number plate and moving the handlebars back and forth.
6. Take the bike off the stand and forcefully compress the front end while grabbing a handful of front brake. This aligns the forks in the triple clamps and the front axle (after removing the screwdriver of course). I usually do this 5-6 times to insure that everything is free-floating with no restrictions.
7. CAREFULLY put the bike back on the stand, tighten the lower triple clamp and axle pinch bolts to spec (usually ~14 ft lbs).
8. Go ride. :ride:

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Natester is right. That is the proper way. I would add that you should loosen the upper triple clamp center nut before you do the compressions and that you should tighten each set of clamps in sequence with a compression or two between them. I.E. Compress- tighten lower pinch(at axle) compress- tighten center triple tree nut, compress-tighten lower triple clamp.

If anything is out of line after this, something is bent.

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
O.K so he is right but what do I do again if I am in the middle of the woods and my forks are tweeked? Maybe I should print that and put it in my bar pad.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Gibby said:
O.K so he is right but what do I do again if I am in the middle of the woods and my forks are tweeked? Maybe I should print that and put it in my bar pad.

Along with your starting procedure cheat sheet?
:laugh:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…