flyinfish

Apr 27, 2001
When I called Sudco they said Kawasaki has a proprietary needle with a triple taper therefore they don't offer replacements. I have a '91 KDX 250 with the stock Kehin, a 38 mm carb with a R1368H needle. Is this hog wash?

I've read you conversion charts Canadian Dave and my calculations tell me that my next leaner needle choice is a CEJ with only a slight length difference then a CGJ as my stock needle would be a C-X-J. (X is defined as somewhere between D and E). A CGJ would lengthen it by approximately 2.475 mm that is if the table can be interpolated. I say this because my L1 is not a standard Kehin available L1, it falls somewhere between Kehin's D & E. Next leaner would be a CGK which would be approx. 2.745 mm longer + .01 larger diameter. And finally a CGL, 2.475 mm longer +.02 larger diameter.

I'm wondering if the guy on the phone was referring to the proprietary setup regarding the lack of direct conversion from my stock needle to an available to the public Kehin needle. And the triple taper stuff was nonsense.

Kawasaki offers two leaner needles. One is +.01 larger diameter and the next is .02 larger. The kicker is they're $18.00+ a pop. Has anyone gone this route?

In case anyone wants to know I'm running a 40 pilot and a 158 to 160 main depending on the cold. I'm running slightly rich between idle and 1/8. Very rich 1/8 to 3/4. And right on WOT. I know a few of you are fond of changing out the slide but I'm on a low budget as the Kinks would say.

One more question! If I go with a leaner needle should I start out with my richer main because I really don't want it to much leaner on top and I know one circuit has an affect on the others?

Please advise! Thanks.

Fish

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Sounds like you're onto somthing. I would try a cej cek and cel, As you noted they will be 1/2 clip position richer or leaner which can be addressed by putting a shim under the clip. shims are available through sudco.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
As I read your question..

..yes, it's hogwash...nonsense, even! The '13' being the taper º, being equated to a 'C'. Those are 1'34" taper, or more commonly referred to as 1-1/2º .

For reasons I've never understood, the 'number' of tapers is often called one more than it really is. A KTM needle (NOZH for example) has TWO different taper angles, but I've often heard them called 'triple tapers'. Maybe the people that call them triples are including the L1 in the count?

He's right in the 'proprietary' part as far as direct crosses to keihin parts. As you've seen, sometimes the numbers don't match up perfectly.

Are you aware of JDs tuning guide? You can graph mulitple needles for diameter to throttle axis, and fuel flow to throttle as well. Good for doing exactly what you're looking at..the changes brought about in different throttle positions with different needles.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
CC
The noz_ series of KTM needles is definantly triple taper plus the straight section. The first taper is not easy to spot but it is about 1/2* for about 8mm or so. Red blue green and yellow brand needles are now mostly multiple taper.

I agree with the rest of the post. There are so many needles availble it boggles the mind and the jetting spread sheet is a wonderful tool to sort it out.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks fishhead..

..for the correction.

I didn't go looking for it, but I recalled (incorrectly, evidently) a direct reference to double/triple tapers, and NOZH needles in the RB mod post.

Ha! Glad to hear yours is just 'lived in'. I'm afraid mine has a 'for rent' sign hanging on it....somewheres!

BTW..the 1/2* is for degrees? It's 1/2º?

Try <alt><0-1-8-6> to get º. ...In a times new roman font anyway. Other sequences found on the character map.

An aside...went back to my BEL/2 with a 38-152-TV#6. Works great in slop. Oh..and try a .035" plug gap (if you don't run it already). Big difference from .030"!! That with an electrix coil. Don't know if the OEM coil will do .035" or not.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
CC
So, thats how you get the little degree sign! I was going to fix my key board with the hammer.

Never mind, it's not working, I'm going to plan "B" <alT> <20oz Blonde Vaughn+good swing= no problem>

Last edited:

flyinfish

Apr 27, 2001
JD's tuning guide?

No I'm not aware of JD's tuning guide? And I couldn't find anything on a search. Canadian Dave's and Eric Gorr's are the only one's I've found so far. Can you point me in the right direction?

Fish
:confused:

flyinfish

Apr 27, 2001
Before I spend the dough can anyone of you tell me if I will definately be able to graph my current needle (R1368H)? Something on his homepage made me wonder if information on my needle would be included. Thanks in advance.

Fish

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
flyinfish,
Yes your needle will work with the jetting speadsheet as will all of the stock kdx 200-220 needles.:) --Dan

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom