Trouble pulling muffler apart for repack

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
I'm having trouble getting my oval FMF muffler apart to repack it with fresh fibreglass. Anyone know the secret to this operation?

It looks like it should be simple. I've removed the small bolts that seem to hold the outer canister to the end plates, sprayed it with penetrating gunk, and tried whacking the core / endplates with a rubber mallet while holding the canister. It doesn't budge even a smidgeon.

Am I missing something obvious?

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Did you drill out the rivits? It took a little bit of encouragment to get my turbine core II apart as well. What model of FMF silencer is it?

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
G'day Kyle. I don't know what the model the muffler is. It came with the bike and doesn't have anything on it to identify it. It's an oval shape, about 30cm long, 10cm high, with 3 ribs running along the length of the two flatter sides.

It doesn't have rivets to drill out. Instead it's got three small bolts up the front and two at the back. These do the exact same job that rivets would normally do. I would expect the canister to just slip off, but it won't. Maybe I just need to whollop it even harder?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
try a little heat. I made a nice paper weight out of my son's fmf ISDE silencer. trying the wack it method.

Top Bottom