trying to race for the first time

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
ok. There is a vintage race coming up in 2 weeks in Maryland. It is an AHRMA event. I got in touch with AHRMA to find out what I needed to race the race. Also, I got in touch with the tracks promoters. AHRMA has told me I have to join AHRMA, and the AMA. I can join AHRMA the day of the race, no prob. I thought that I would also be able to join AMA the day of the race, and in fact I think they even have an Event Only option to join.

HOWEVER....
The TRACK is not sanctioned by the AMA...IM guessing then that the race itself is not either. Ive been told by the track people, and by AHRMA that there may not be anyone from the AMA there to register me the day of the race. All AMA can tell me is that if I need AMA to race this race, then someone will be there.

I cant get a concrete answer from ANYONE as far as that goes.
I dont want to load up and drive 2 hours (and probably miss out on some overtime at work) to get turned away from the race for lack of AMA membership. In fact, if the race is not santioned by the AMA why would that even be a requirement, and if it is still a requirement, wouldnt you think someone should be there?

Any ideas or input would be appreciated.....

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Call AMA back and don't stop asking til the someone there gives you an answer. They can look up and see if that race is sanctioned and who is the person that is responsable for that date and track for that race.
Ahrma is or partially is a part of AMA. It requires AmA membship since sanctions and insurance go thru ama.....this is a guess since I don't deal with that part of it much.
However if you keep asking nice, you will get an answer from the right person at AMA. If you don't, e mail me and I will find out why.

wardy

[email protected]

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Well, I just heard from the Mid Atlantic AHRMA coordinator who said they can indeed sign me up for the AMA there at the track...so looks like its a go! Ohhhh look out!
Thanks,
Neil

Last edited:
Top Bottom