Shamrocker38

Jul 7, 2002
I have just recently printed off and started to read the article on understanding carb tuning, because i not sure mybike has ever been properly tuned, and i would like to try and do this myself. Im on a 1994 kdx200, fatty pipe, turbine core. I undertand the basic concept of jetting, but im wondering if i could just tune my carb to the same specs as other peoples ( who have the same setup on their bikes) and have mine run fine, or do i have to perform the plug tests, and experiment alot with my own bike to get it running well? i believe one of the articles on justkdx has recommended jet settings for certain bike setups, do these settings consistantly work for all the kdx200's? thanks for any help

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
This is just my opinion so please don't take offence but you're not going to learn much about jetting buy using someone else's jetting set-up.

Shamrocker38

Jul 7, 2002
"hey I need your help here fruitcake"
-Frank Rizzo

If I knew jetting was that simple, I'd have my bike set up already and I wouldn't be asking for help on this forum, so why don't you post a reply that might help others to improve their knowledge of motorcycles, and continue to make this a good forum. I was only asking my question to better understand jetting, and how precise the process of tuning a carb is.

By the way, it's offense, not offence

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Looked to me like you were asking for a boiler plate jetting spec.
If you have downloaded literature on jetting, and there is any truth to your last post, read it.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
Shamrocker38,
Using someone elses specs, while not perfect and not to your tastes will work just fine. If you use them as a good starting point and not as gospel truth.
Every bike is different, along with rider taste, terrain,temp and elevation.
BUT...most people with the same bike and setup will come to almost the same jetting setup. I've seen this happen many times on this forum alone.
My advice to you is use the starting point jetting and then make changes yourself one thing at a time. It will not take long to then understand after riding with these changes what each change does to your bike. At least for me it worked this way and if you can spell offense, your smarter than me!
Good luck
Steve

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
If you are trying to learn jetting then you would be better off trying to jet the bike correctly yourself, then checking how close you get to a similar bike setup done by somebody else. Best thing to do is read as many of those guides as possible, then set each carb. circuit individually to rich and lean and ride then bike at each change. Then you will actually be able to feel what rich/lean is like on the pilot/needle/main.

BTW - You can spell it either way...

Shamrocker38

Jul 7, 2002
thanks to oldnslow and zenith, those were exactly the kind of answers i was looking for, and thanks to the others who posted, i will take your opinions into consideration
btw-i apologize for spelling criticism, that was childish on my part

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
Shamrocker38,

You said you understood the basic concept in your original message.

I undertand the basic concept of jetting, but im wondering if i could just tune my carb to the same specs as other peoples ( who have the same setup on their bikes) and have mine run fine, or do i have to perform the plug tests, and experiment alot with my own bike to get it running well?

I was simply pointing out that while copying someone else's jetting may make your bike run good you will have no idea why it worked or what to do as conditions change such as temp., humidity or elevation to name a few.

so why don't you post a reply that might help others to improve their knowledge of motorcycles, and continue to make this a good forum

That was exactly my intent. To help you learn something. I did after all start out by saying PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENCE(this spelling is correct). Again I'm sorry that you found my advice offensive(also correct). If you had stated that you had no idea what to do or something to that effect(not implying that you don't know what to do) I would have posted an appropriate response.

btw-i apologize for spelling criticism, that was childish on my part

Apology accepted.

cycleboy

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
shamrocker the set up always changes ,at least on my bike. my perfect jetting in the fall n spring went out the window in the 90's heat/humidity.same bike same mods diff things needed so if u got the setup from someone ....it'll change at some pt good luck

Top Bottom