ROOSTher618

Mar 2, 2010
yamaha ttr 230 is what I ride. I am entering some little mx races this spring.

this ins't my ideal bike for this... but can anyone tell me a little about what experience I might have trying to race a 230? (mostly stock)

THANKS

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Tell us about you so we can get an idea of how suitable that bike will be for you.
Height, weight, experience and how aggressive you are will be as big of a factor as the bike itself.

If you are 6 feet tall, 190 pounds and always "go for the gold or go home" then that bike is going to suck.

If you are 5'2" tall, fairly new to dirt bikes and are fairly cautious then that bike might be just right.

Have you been on a MX track yet? You can go to the track and practice even if you have no intentions of racing. If you are comfortable on the track then go ahead and enter a race.

Rod

ROOSTher618

Mar 2, 2010
5'6", 120lb, female, riding my own bike for a few years now, pretty good natural talent,
not too much experience on the track, but some.. and will get more as one of the new tracks open where I live in a few months.

thanks by the way

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
hi there.
the 230 is a very good learning bike but on a mx track is not definitly the best. as soon as you start jumping the suspension will bottom but is very confortable until there. how do you feel on the bike?

Tdoorn199

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 7, 2010
helio lucas said:
hi there.
the 230 is a very good learning bike but on a mx track is not definitly the best. as soon as you start jumping the suspension will bottom but is very confortable until there. how do you feel on the bike?
I dont know who your repling to, probably her, but the crf230f is pretty ajustable stock. Ive hardened up the front suspension with oil and the rear spring can still be tightened up alot.

ROOSTher618

Mar 2, 2010
what would you guys think would be some basic good things I could tune up/change on this bike to give me a little bit more comfortable/faster ride?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Well, there are all kinds of things that you could do but I wouldn't recommend most of them. What you have is a trail bike and what want is a MX bike. You would be a lot better off buying a MX bike.

You could rebuild the top end using a high compression piston set to get more power from the engine. The down side is that you will need to run at least premium gas and possibly race gas if you take the compression up too far.

Once you get the bike so that it will go faster the suspension will be a problem, so you will need to take the forks and rear shock to a suspension place and have them re-valved. That will probably cost more than you paid for the bike in the first place.

After all is said and done you still have a heavy bike with limited suspension travel.

At 5'6" you are right at the boarder of being the right size for a full size bike. That TT-R230 has a seat height of 34" while a full size MX bike is 38" to 39". There are trick that you can do to lower the full size bike an inch or two.

If you can, I would recommend finding someone who has a 125 Two stroke that will let you ride it a bit. If you want to race MX that would be a great bike.

A Yamaha WR250 might be a good bike for you. High performance engine, full length suspension travel, just a tad shorter than the YZ line. It also has electric start, which you might enjoy.

Before you do anything, I would get the bike you have out on the track and give it a shot.

Rod

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
I think the answer is simple, if you are going to ride motocross tracks, buy a motocross bike. If you are going to ride trails, buy a trail bike. The TTR is a mild mannered trail bike and there is nothing wrong with that....on the trail. As soon as you get any good at all on the track, you will be bottoming out your suspension. There is a reason that manufacturers make both types of bikes. I have the opposite issue, I have a YZ400F MX bike somewhat "adapted" to the trail. I am looking at a Yamaha WR or KTM EXC (both trail bikes) for a reason.

Top Bottom