Tuning for a more responsive throttle

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
After riding a few other bikes I've noticed my bike is very sluggish when it comes to throttle response. I have no complaints anywhere else but the initial crispness when I crank on the gas. Should I start with the air screw?

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Yes. Low speeds circuits first.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thank you Mr RR, I knew I could count on you.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jeff - Keep in mind that as long as you don't make it knock you can't hurt the engine running the pilot or needle too lean. I'm not familiar with the OEM jetting on the KTM, but the japanese always start too rich so leaning things out is usually a good place to turn when looking for throttle response.

Before you get started make sure the power valve is clean, the float level is correct, and the silencer is freshly packed. Good luck !!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Would reeds have an effect on throttle response? I still have the stock ones in and have never looked at them. I would think (without having any prior knowledge) that reeds would have an effect over a wider range of throttle more noticable in the higher RPM range. At any rate the bike runs great except for poor off idle accelleration.

I'll get this all down in time but I'm learning as I go. Thanks again for your help.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
Would reeds have an effect on throttle response?

Absolutely, reeds are critical to throttle response.
I was just going back to edit my post because I forgot to put reeds in the list of things to check before starting on jetting path. :eek:

I'm assuming the bike has good compression, if not then look there as well. :thumb:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
:thumb:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The KTM reeds do not generally last long-ive known some rider make them last only 3 rides.The only solution was to go with a V force.If your bike has suddenly got worse i would look at the reeds.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Jeff,
In my 39mm I switched the 48 pilot out for a 45, A.S. 1.5out, Raised the clip to second from top. I run lots of oil (24-26:1 w/110 octane) @ 450'asl, 60-90%RH

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Rich, being that this float lever is easy to change and reversable, is there much to be gained by altering it from stock? Thanks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom