Turbo Blue OK?

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
Everyone I speak with has told me Turbo Blue is bad fuel to run in my bike. I have a 2001 RM125 and was using Sunoco 94 in it the first year I had it but wanted to give the Turbo Blue a try. It really seemed to give it alittle more zing. I read a article a year or so back about Suzuki's really respond well to higher octane gas and is boarderline a requirement even though the manufacture says they operate well with just a 90+ octane.
If it makes any difference I have a FMF fatty, shorty silencer with a VForce.
Thanks for the help

DAMON D

Jun 7, 2003
One reason a lot of people dont like it is because it has acid in it . I race cars and i dont use it for this reason. it is real hard on engine bearings.

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
Theres a Marthon about the raod that sells some form of race gas that alot muscle car street guys get in line for Friday night. Not sure of the octane but I know its at least over 100.
Any thoughts on Marthons race gas?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by DAMON D
One reason a lot of people dont like it is because it has acid in it . I race cars and i dont use it for this reason. it is real hard on engine bearings.

:scream: :silly: :silly:

The weirdness NEVER ends in these threads. :|

DAMON D

Jun 7, 2003
Whats so damn weird?the makers of turbo blue put acid in the gas as a cleaning agent , on the other hands its hard on the bearings,and in no time short it eats away at the rubber gas lines.....

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Rich,

quick chemistry question, any time you burn a hydro carbon does it have the potential to make acid?

I have heard countless times when you have a short trip city car, with bad piston rings,< never reaching full operating temps and lots of blowby into the crankcase> the sludge that forms is acidic. Is this true?

Thanks
Jim

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Damon, you need to go more into detail about this. Just where is your information coming from on Turbo Blue? Share the spec sheet with us.
Who makes Turbo Blue anywho?

And why did you answer Jim's question to Rich? Are you sure about what you are spouting? I'm fairly certain that any petroleum product can become acidic in time. Are you telling me I'm all wet, or have I just simply been misled by the less than learned?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Has anyone ever experienced a race fuel eating away a rubber fuel line?? Seems to me acid would then be a poor choice as a cleaning agent. Can you imagine the law suits with a fuel that eats a fuel line! :confused:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I think Turbo Blue is a horrible fuel. If it doesn't ruin the muffler bearings first, the acid will eat holes in your gas tank. :| If you use it, be sure to add a teaspoon of Pepto Bismal (or any other good anti-acid).

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
well this is an extremely far fetched uneducated guess but this is what I was thinking.

the name turbo blue suggests to me the fuel is designed for a forced air intake system<turbo/supercharger> which would mean high distillate rates to deal with high intake tempatures. Using it in a 2 stroke would end up with a lot of spooge, using it in a naturally aspirated four stroke would mean some of the unvaporized unburned fuel droplets would get squeezed past the rings<especially with high compresion or worn rings>. Now the unburnt fuel mixes with water vapor<a byproduct of combustion,which is why worn ringed city cars sludge up so bad,lotsa water vapor passes the rings and not enough heat to steam it out of the crankcase vents>. Then the gas/water mix is combining with the sulfur in the oil and under the right temps and pressure an acidic concoction is made. Which could be the explanation of why Damon's race car bearings etch with turbo blue like it was dipped in acid.

Just trying to fit all the pieces together to come up with a cause and effect truth here and wondering how far off I am.

Damon I can respect that you have experience in a certain situation but I would like my answer from someone who has been studying different fuels for racing applications for quite some time,applying them to different forms of high performance engines and conditions and documenting the results.

So Rich is my idea way off base or is it an actual possibility? I know you can't say if it is true without more info but is the recipe feasible?

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
I did a Google search and came up with this website for TurboBlue.

http://www.turboblue.com/

Any comments on these specs?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002

stole that from the website. The high initial boiling point protecting vapor lock is of little use in a gravity fed fuel system found on dirt bikes, also the high intitial boiling point can be detrimental to useable power in part throttle response in a relatively cool short intake tract found on dirt bikes. A 90degree intial boiling point doesn't sound that high to me though the 10% jump to 150 degrees seems pretty steep

I think I am wrong about the bike being a splooge monster since it has a low final boiling point but it will probably splooge a little at part throttle and suffering from throttle response not as good as it can be. I think the unleaded oxygenated fuel would be a good find. I wouldn't hesitate to try any of them but the price and availabilty of other specific fuels would have to be compromised. Definately better than pump.

Again an uneducated guess based on just trying to keep my eyes and ears open listening to people who extensively searched and keep searching for the truth.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
My experience and the shared experience of others is, Turbo Blue tends to have soft throttle response in our type of applications. Part of this is caused by the fairly high aromatic hydrocarbon content of the fuel, but the bulk tank distribution system is bound to be part of it as well. Buying discounted race gas from a bulk source is FALSE ECONOMY.

I was never satisfied with the performance of the standard Turbo Blue leaded in two-stroke road race engines (Rotax 250 twins, and RD250/RZ350 twins) , and I have no experience with any of their other fuels listed in the thread above. Turbo Blue worked adequately in air-cooled turbo engines for me, but so did a mixture of methanol, toluene and a small percentage of 76 race fuel so it's far from a ringing endorsement.

IMO, there are much better fuel choices for your hard earned dollars. If all you want to do is bump the octane a bit to keep the engine from knocking, then a percentage of Turbo Blue will do the trick and it probably won't be any worse than the normal pump gas you can get.

The chemical fairy tales littering this thread don't warrant further comment. ;)

Last edited:

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
Well asking around the shop a few guys in the parts counter run it but a 50/50 split with pump gas.
They carry VP that supposably works great but not many people there feel its worth the $45 for 5 Gal can
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/
Its hard to beat the TB price of $3.60 a gallon compared to other race fuels Ive seen.
Thanks for all the comments guys keep them coming if you would

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Buy a can of the c12 and buy some jets, take the time to jet the bike correctly. You will never know if it is worth it unless you try it :cool:

The chemical fairy tales littering this thread don't warrant further comment.
:eek:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by jmics19067
Buy a can of the c12 and buy some jets, take the time to jet the bike correctly. You will never know if it is worth it unless you try it :cool:

Excellent advice :thumb:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by jmics19067

The only down side I can see is that there could be another C-12 addict on the street and, who knows, they might be looking to score some MR-2 before they are done. :cool: That stuff can get quite a grip on you. :yeehaw:

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
The chemical fairy tales littering this thread don't warrant further comment. ;)

has anyone ever heard of acid rain? if the fuel has any sources of sulphur or nitorgen then when we burn (oxidize it) it will form the corresponding sulphur and nitrogen oxides (otherwise known as sulphuric and nitric acid;)), having worked in the refining business, i would think that most pump fuels will have noticable levels of nitrogen and sulphur contaminants.

i still cant understand why engines run at all. fire extinguishers often contain water or carbon dioxide which put out flames. when the engine burns hydrocarbon fuel, H2O and CO2 are produced, so why dont they put the fire out inside your engine?????? it seems to me that internal combiustion is the fairytale and there is something more sinister going on inside our engines, so comment on that one Richard!:) :thumb: :confused:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
H2o and Co2 are byproducts of a burn. Byproducts of a burn in a combustion engine are expelled prior to the next combustion cycle.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by bclapham
it seems to me that internal combiustion is the fairytale and there is something more sinister going on inside our engines, so comment on that one Richard!:) :thumb:

I would never deny the fact that there are bizzare chemical changes happening and new compounds being formed inside a combustion chamber that far outstrip my meager understanding of chemistry. Based on all the half-truths and misinformation that get published it appears I am not alone ;)

What I can grasp is the notion that the concious addition of mythical engine devouring acids to a fuel is a load of :uh:, but if someone wants to prove me wrong I'm would be most grateful for the enlightenment. :thumb:

Last edited:

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
Shot an email off to TurboBlue.com contact us email and this is what I got back.

"Below is the response from our Tech. Dept. regarding your inquiry on our website:

If you have not experienced any problems using Turbo Blue, I would continue to use this fuel. Fuel which is sold at gas stations can change seasonally. Racing Gasoline is blended the same throughout the year.

Thank you,
Linda Davis
Coordinator
Sunoco Performance Products"

Makes sence that different times of the year different additives are used that cars may require as the temps change.
From what I get from thes theres less stuff mixed in race gas then pump gas and you should get a more constant performance with the race stuff. Pump gas could have a bunch of things mixed into it that we just dont need and could make for un-needed carb changes other then standard alititude, humidity and temp changes though the season.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by ruffman
theres less stuff mixed in race gas then pump gas and you should get a more constant performance with the race stuff.

That makes sense...........I think :think: I still don't like the idea of buying fuel for my pride and joy.........from a tank that could still hold who knows how much kerosene :scream:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…