Turkey Bay, KY Rider's Meeting

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
This Saturday, July 13 at 7:00 p.m. there is a rider's meeting scheduled to discuss issues and concerns of the OHV area. It may be good to get as many there as possible and show support.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks for posting!

You'll have to fill me in on what goes on at the meeting. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it. There's about a 10% chance I can make it. :(

MikeJ

Apr 15, 2000
Where is teh meeting being held? I'd like to attend but need to know where to go. Is there an agenda posted anywhere, or a list of some of the concerns?

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
The last meeting was held at the guard gate at the entrance of Turkey Bay. I'm assuming that's where this one will be held. For whatever reason they don't advertise these meetings much at all. If they really advertised them, I think they would be blown away by all those that would show up. We really need to have as many bike riders show up as possible. At the last meeting, the buggy drivers outnumbered everyone...and all they talked about was how they wanted bathrooms and showers. Everyone needs to be discussing the erosion and high traffic of the trails. I had been planning on going for months, but now something has come up and I can't make it. :(

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
As far as I can tell, Cal is right about where the meeting is being held. There was a small sign on the ice cooler near the guard shack last month announcing it, but it wasn't very visible. We have to be careful about how much we complain about erosion or the fact that the dune buggies and jeeps are tearing up the trails. If we complain too much, they'll just keep us all out. My buddy and I talked to a ranger this spring and suggesting adding some acres for bikes only or at least putting a 40" gate to limit larger vehicles. They'd see then who does the most damage.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by trsrdr
We have to be careful about how much we complain about erosion or the fact that the dune buggies and jeeps are tearing up the trails. If we complain too much, they'll just keep us all out.

I'm not suggesting complaining about the erosion, but offering suggestions and volunteering help to fix the erosion. The erosion is what will close TB down, not people speaking up about it. If we/they don't do something soon, TB may be closed...and once an area is closed, we all know how hard it is to get it reopened. :ugg: They definately need to separate the buggies from the bikes/atvs. Hopefully they will make some decisions and take action this time. I have signed up for volunteer work out there, and have not gotten one call or email asking for my help. :think:

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
I attended the meeting Saturday night. A friend and I rode over 100 miles on our street bikes just for the meeting. It was quite a disapointment, especially turnout of bike riders. There were several truckloads of bikes and atv's in Aurora, but they didn't care enough to stay for the meeting. The problem is water quality and runoff, which is erosion related. That means, the area north and east of the main creek will close as well as the creek. That's 220 acres less. Also, they will be limiting the number of entrances into the riding area, especially along the road. That's not a bad idea due to dangerous conditions of riders entering the road from the hill. They also will be "hardening" creek crossings. They say we need to take measures now to keep the place open. It doesn't look good for the future, but we may be able to keep it open a few more years. I think my buddy and me were the only 2 bikers there. Come on guys, let's show up next time. The idea of quarterly meetings was approved so you have another chance this year. Also clubs were discussed to do work on the trails, etc. Some guy kept bringing up showers, but we have to keep the trails open to need showers.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks for the report! It sounds like it went much like the last meeting...only now they are finally taking some action. I'm glad to see they are closing some of the area down. Hopefully they will do some repair work and let it recoup. Maybe that area being closed will show some of the less interested people that there are serious issues at hand. I'm going to make some flyers for the next meeting and try to spread the word about meetings a little better. I'll also talk with VSTA and see if they could send a representative or group and express there concerns and willingness to help.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…