Turn a Honda 450CRF into woods weapon...?

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I'm going on the "current" stance that the new 450CRF is a motocross bike only... with Honda having no plans to do a woods version.

Now, I love the heck out of my '97 XR400R - and it's smooth powerband has saved my butt-ski more than once on some greasy, snotty hill out in the middle of the Oregon Coast Range.

But.... there are some days that -30lbs, one-two kick starting, upper-end suspension, and flickability looks m-i-g-h-t-y attractive. (grin)

Assumming there is no "WR" version on the horizon - how tough would it be turn the CRF into a milder do-all bike for trail-riding to Grand Prix races - that you could live w/ on all-day death ride?

I see:
- much larger gas tank
- skid plate (you ought to see where we ride sometimes)
- handlebar guards
- headlight (would be nice)
- odo (could be done w/ bicycle odo)
- kickstand (could do w/ clamp-on AL unit)

And the big question - engine tractability:
- flywheel weight (classic solution....)
- steering/geometry changes (?)
- ???

okay, boys and girls.... you may let the fur begin to fly!

- E-Ticket

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I'm with you. I was dissappointed when I heard that Honda would not make a woods bike out of it. I'm still not convinced they won't, but only time will tell. In the latest Dirt Rider, they give specs for the bike. They mention that it doesn't not have a lighting coil. I presume one could be put on, but the lack of one could mean that Honda doesn't plan to make a woods bike.

I would like to see...

headlight/tailight
handguards, but I would replace them with Enduro Engineering guards
Wide ratio tranny, or maybe the current tranny would work, probably
rear fender tool pouch, I love those
flywheel weight, should be able to crawl at 1 mph w/out stalling

The final big one, reliability. The new "high strung" motor may not have the best reliability. Only time will tell. However, If I know Honda, it will be.

I would trade my XR400 in a heart beat for a CRF woods bike. If nothing else, I would be happy with a new XR650 style, XR400.

Good luck. Keep on thumpin'!!

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
As a CA dual sport/woods rider, I've been contemplating the same issues, with the added requirement of being able to plate the bike to avoid red sticker restrictions (prohibited from riding in my area much of the year). This means adding a dual sport kit and playing games with out of state purchase or registration.

There is one more mechanical feature that impacts our type of riding; no compression braking. I like it on a 4 stroke and I'm not sure it can be mechanically defeated.

The bike has also considerably more rake and wheelbase, which might be adaptable, but I've always liked the "geometry" of an XR4 for woods riding.

Many of the mods you listed depend on the aftermarket making those parts. If the bike isn't perceived by such makers as having "woods" potential, they may never make the parts. However, most of what we need in mods was produced for the YZ/WR 426.

I'm concerned I need to pick my next bike soon as I expect many States will follow the FL precedent, disallowing the "plating" of any bike that doesn't come for the factory street legal.

It's a tough call, I figure to wait and see how the conflicting reports of an 'enduro" or XR version shake out.

Last edited:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
What about tweaking it a bit more. I have the Rubicon 500 ATV from honda and it has some pretty impressive power. It has the lighting coil, e-start, and is water cooled. Maybe a project for BBR.Take the CRF frame and the 500 with a headlight, bigger tank, and off we go. XRF500RE.

I'll take one:D

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom