Tweaked radiator..

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
What would be the best way to straighten this, without springing a leak? It's not even noticeable with the shrouds on but I know it's there and it bugs me.
It's not pushed back at all, or twisted, it's just bent in where this bolt goes into it.

B

biglou

I say live with it. Just shut that synapse off and go with it! :thumb: If it ain't broke (read: leaking) yet, it will be if you start fooling with it...

Oh, and put the shroud back on. :)

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Cam I did the same thing and all it does on my bike is push the white louvers to the side a bit, and yes im that picky. So what I do is warm the bike up until the rads are nice and warm and take a small adjustable wrench and gently and smoothly pull it back.

This should work :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Go to the search function and look up "how to fix a leaking radiator" cause you'll need it if you mess with it!;) Leave it be, mine is just like that and I've forgotten about it, until now.:(

jo8243

Aug 11, 2001
Your picture doesn't work...... but send it to myler's. Look in the back of dirt rider for their ad. They will fix most radiator problems for about $50 and turn it around in a couple of days.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Yeah everyone told me leave the bent radiator alone but they are quite pliable and can be bent around if you do it properly. Warm the bike up so the metal is warm. Try to not use levers or wrenches as these put all the pressure on one point yoiu dont want that. Spread your hand across as much of the radiator face as possible to spread the pressure out. Then gentley pull it into line as required. I have seen a seriously bent 426 radiator pulled into place in the middle of the forest we were all freaking out he would hole it. But he showed me the above method and it worked a treat. When I got home I straightened out the 300 radiators which Id been too scared to touch for 18mths. But I did need a little leverage in one or two spots to get ot just right.

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
Couldn't get your pic to open, so I can't address your specific problem, but 2smoke is right....radiators aren't nearly as brittle as a lot of people think. I've put tweaked and twisted radiators in a press many times and straightened (VERY gently) them out. Haven't had one spring a leak from the repair yet.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Every water-cooled bike I've owned had radiators that looked like that (and worse). I finally broke down and put Flatland radiator guards on my '02. If I can bend the radiators with those guards, I'll have many, many other problems to deal with.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
is it possible to snake a wire (or a series of wires) and pull, or would that pinch something it shouldn't?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Maybe you could get a slap hammer or dent puller and thread a bolt in and then ever so gently pull it put with little pulls , just be careful .

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
:thumb:

Good call, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll wait until it REALLY bends, or springs a leak.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…