Two Best Ways to Gain More Low End?

DCox

Dec 29, 2003
I have an 04 KDX 200. I have looked over the various ways on this site to gain extra low end, but I would like to confirm with some of you . . . .

1. The FMF Woods pipe: Do you really observe a good amount of low end after this mod?

2. The airbox mod. Prob. just drill the top and toss the snorkel.

Anything else that is inexpensive, but picks you up that little bit more low end power on a 200?

Thanks.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Properly jetting your bike

607 Reeds

Lower the gearing

FRP Torque Ring

RB Designs Head Mod.

I'd just take the airbox lid off that way in really dusty situations you still have the option of putting it back on

Here's what I'm gonna try out this summer

Attachments

• AirBoxMod#2.jpg
    AirBoxMod#2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

sluggo69

May 24, 2003
i would say :
1. change the countershaft sprocket to a 12 tooth
2. toss airbox lid
3.add a fmf woods pipe and fmf tbc II silencer
4. properly jet :thumb:

DCox

Dec 29, 2003
Say, did you all have to go through the "plug-chop" procedure to properly jet? Do they mean you have to install a new spark plug everytime you do a chop? It looks fairly complex . . . .

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
Make one modification at a time and then ride. This way you will realize how each changes performance. My nephew and I both have KDX's, both started out stock. I have modiifed mine, his stocker is my base line.
1) Toss airbox lid- increased throttle response, improved power throughout curve and sound output increases also.
2) O-ring chain - Stocker requires tensioning by the hour.
3) Renthal bars, grips, x-bar pad- Stock bars are good for one or two get offs.
4) Barbusters- Save knuckles as well as grip/lever replacements.
5) Leaner jetting on low speed circuit (45 pilot/air screw 1&1/2 out - Better throttle response and improved low end.
6) FMF woods pipe - Further improvement in low end and mid range. The top remains the same. I think my transition from low to mid could be better, will experiment with leaner needle, clip positions, and main.
7) Removed enduro rear fender and headlight, replaced with MX rear and front number plate.
Next mods are reeds, re-jet, silencer, and stiffer fork springs.
Browse the site, there are some talented mechanics/tuners/fabricators here with extraordinary insight.

CoalPilot

Feb 9, 2004
Look in your manual, let me know what your transmission gear ratios are. Primary? 1st?, 2nd?,3rd?, etc. and your tooth count on front and rear sprockets. Also tell me what your peak RPM is and the circumference of your rear tire.

From that I can figure your maximum miles per hour achievable in each gear and give you some comparisons on how sprocket changes will affect your top and bottom end.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom