Two Stroke Engine Repair

BigDaddyCMU

Sep 28, 2002
I know this forum is about dirt bikes, but I was hoping someone could help me out with my 1986 Honda TRX250R. I recently rebuilt the top end. I got it all back together, and it wouldn't start. I'm getting plenty of spark, but I'm not sure about fuel. Also, after trying to start it for a bit, the kick starter now will not move. Is there any way to figure out what's wrong without ripping the engine apart again???

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
the kickstarter wont move, thats means the piston is not moving. Maybe a ring poped off and got caught in the intake or exhaust opening?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Joepro9
the kickstarter wont move, thats means the piston is not moving. Maybe a ring poped off and got caught in the intake or exhaust opening?
:thumb:

That would be my take on it as well. On another note did you oil all of your parts before instalation?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider

I would not think that would have anything to do with it...I have been assembling top ends dry for a looooong time. I would get the wrenches out and get it apart and have a look at it ;)

Mark,
I also assemble my top ends fairly "dry" except for my pin and arm bering.
I was thinking of time between tear down and reassembly. Over time ( a couple of weeks or more) your crank berings will dry out, and if they are worn to beguin with it wouldn't take many kicks to seiz them. ;)

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
How about you take of the pipe, to see what you see? Maybe...well maybe you'll see something that'll help you diagonse the problem

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Steve, You can pull the pipe but it will tell you just what you can see. And that is about squat! Pull the Jug and Know! I'm not flaming ya bro'!. A thourogh(sp) will get better results.... ;)

The only way to tell "up close and personal" with how your bike is running, tear it down!

My .02
Phillip

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…