girlbiker

May 26, 2002
you have probably been asked 100 times ...but what is a good tyre pressure for dirt and loose dirt .....i checked my tyre pressure with a new gauge i brought and they were at 10 pounds each ...ooooppps

thanks guys

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i usually run 12 ,my problem is ....my trails range from sand to rocky trails every place i ride so i get it all in the same day.imo less than 10 and u could pinch the tube

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
There's a trail riding collumn in Australasian Dirt Bike mag written by Stephen Gall (the ex-champion motocrosser). Recently he recommended that the minimum pressure that will avoid damage from rocks is 14 psi.

So, I run 14 psi generally. Under really muddy, soft conditions such as we've been having through winter, I drop the tyres down to about 12 for the sake of traction, but try to keep an eye out for sharp rocks.

By the way, you can buy special low-pressure pencil-type tyre gauges (0-20 psi) in Super Cheap Auto stores that are more accurate in this sort of range. I carry one with me while riding along with a plastic bicycle pump so that I can adjust my tyre pressures if necessary.

Cheers

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A local dealer recommended 14psi front/back. I tried it. Hated it a whole lot! What a waste of $800 spent on suspension!!

It's pretty rocky 'round here. Good chance of mud and loose granite, too. Using 10 or so front and back, I've sliced one tire in several years.

It's hugely a personal choice.

I'd much rather have the decent handling from 'proper' inflation than rotten handling with higher pressures...just to save a flat now and again.

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
My riding partner who has ridden off-road for about 30 years says to run 10 rear, 12 front. That's enough to not pinch tubes or bend rims, and not too much to sacrifice traction.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom