WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
Had another great ride this weekend, nothing broke just a little sore just the way its supposed to be.
I was crossing a lower thigh deep brook and stalled on a submerged log. When I went to drop a foot it slipped on the same log and over we went. Next thing I know I'looking at my scoot under water, just part of the bars out of the drink. :eek: I whipped her up fast and kicked her over first kick. :cool: I went on my way and noticed right away the exhaust note was louder and also slightly lower in pitch. I stopped to check if the silenser was still attached, everything was normal.
Question, did I clean out my silencer in a way considered by some unconventional? Also, What is the packing in my FMF silencer and how often does it need attension?

96 KDX 200, fat bot 240 LA sleeve
99 KLR 250, Cobra exhaust and DOT Knobbies

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
You might have cleaned it out, LOL. I know of guys that get the glass-packs good and hot on their muscle cars then spray cold water in them. It makes all the fiberglass packing inside them fall apart and blow out so you get that (Good?) loud sound from the engine.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
FMF makes a repack kit for about eight bucks. Just take the s/a apart clean and put the new stuff in. You should probably do it every year for best performance but I know people who never do it.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I don't even bother with that 8 bucks a bag silencer packing. Regular old fiberglass insulation works just fine. I have a roll leftover from insulating my garage, it will last a LOOOONNNGG time :)

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
Now I've read some other threads on silencer repacking and let me see if I have it right.
- Take out core and clean off old packing and carbon making sure all holes are open.
- Wrap insulation around core in pieces until larger than canister.
- Tape with masking masking tape at ends of core or over entire length?
This sound about right? It was the tape part I questioned.

thanks

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
You've got the core wrapped with the packing
It looks like this ======
So put the tape around like this ]==]==] (we use 3 pieces of tape as that's usually plenty, one near each end & one in the middle)
It's just to compact it so you can fit it in the canister & will burn off (or not, but won't cause problems).
If you get the sheets of packing, just wrap it around & cut off the bit that's too long (easier to mark it first using the core - & then cut while laying flat then wrap around core).
Hope that helps
Michelle

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
RoosteR13, I tried that once. Must have been a different material to yours. After a few months the bike seemed to be getting louder, so I decided to repack it a 2nd time. When I pulled the silencer off out rolled a few black hard balls of roof insulation. Nothing else was left!

Top Bottom