Uh oh another poll and the enviro's are leading

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
http://poll.excite.com/poll/home.jsp?cat_id=1

The U.S. Forest Service opened the last 58.6 million acres of untouched national forests to road construction last Thursday. The new rules gave state governors the power to submit petitions to stop road construction on areas where it would now be permitted, or ask for new forest management plans allowing construction in other areas. While environmentalists objected to the decision, officials indicated much of the land will remain untouched. (AP)
Do you agree with the U.S. Forest Service’s decision to open national forest land to road construction?

Click on the link at the top to vote on Excite's on line poll (ps just because the rule which was put into place at the VERY END of Clinton's Administration is overturned, it does not mean there will be a big ol road building boom in the National Forests, they are still bound by their Forest Plans and many many other restrictions for road building.)

Last edited:

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
I would've voted NO...

Already have enough roads. More highways won't help the dirtriding community - just the opposite. A lot of fun places to camp and ride are in the forrests. We can't ride our bikes on the highway anyway! More highways leads to more of everything else we are fighting against right now. I'd rather have the forests...
B.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
unfortunately the trails you ride on are the roads the enviros want to eliminate.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
:bang: :bang: Highways?!!! This issue has NOTHING whatsoever to do with highways!

It is about Clinton in his last 8 days of office declaring millions of acres off limits to any type of road which includes trails, logging roads, roads for fire suppression, forest health maintenance.

Many of these areas declared "Roadless" by Clinton already had a network of TRAILS on them, guess what, can't use em under his Roadless Rule.

I suggest you go back & read the article that the link in the Excite Poll leads you to. Highways, pleeeeeeaaassseeee!!!!!! :bang:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
:yikes: Yikes, settle down there bbbom. ;) binthedirtnow just needs a little re-edjumacation on the subject.

binthedirtnow.

Like bbbom said, it has nothing to do with highways. It was an in-your-face move that Slick Willy did just before he left office. They don't call him Slick Willy for nuthin'.

Most of the roads and trails are already there. Under this ruling nobody can use them. With the bark beetle infestation that has occurred in many of our forests, many of the trees are dead and ready for catastrophic fire conditions. Under this ruling these trees can't be removed even though they present a huge fire danger. Under this ruling no mechanized equipment is allowed in the areas so, the dead trees can't be removed. This results in loss of homes and loss of lives.

Also, firefighters are not allowed to take a brush engine into these areas to fight fires. Only smoke jumpers and hand crews are allow in on foot. This has resulted in many young firefighters losing their lives when they become trapped during a wildfire.

No one wants to see the enviroment damaged but, we have to use a little common sense when it comes to access to the forest. Although common sense isn't very common anymore.

The National forest belong to the public. They are supported through tax moneys and fees collected from the public. If they close the forests down to the public, they will still collect our money to support them, we just won't be able to use them. What do you see wrong with that picture??? :think:

BTW, thanks bbbom.

Ol'89r

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
BBBOM,

When I click on your link I get this one.

Today's Poll • Instant Results • More Polls
Courting what would be the first veto of the Bush presidency, the U.S. Senate was expected late Tuesday to overwhelmingly back a $295 billion highway bill that would upgrade public transit, fund recreational road programs and promote highway safety. Studies indicate poor road conditions are a factor in one-third of all traffic fatalities every year, and road congestion costs the nation billions in productivity and wasted fuel. The Bush administration, however, believes the bill is too expensive for a country at war and in debt. (AP)
Do you support the $295 billion highway bill introduced in the U.S. Senate?

Yes
No
I'm not sure

But if I look at other polls I see this one.

The U.S. Forest Service opened the last 58.6 million acres of untouched national forests to road construction last Thursday. The new rules gave state governors the power to submit petitions to stop road construction on areas where it would now be permitted, or ask for new forest management plans allowing construction in other areas. While environmentalists objected to the decision, officials indicated much of the land will remain untouched. (AP)
Do you agree with the U.S. Forest Service’s decision to open national forest land to road construction?

Yes 35% => 5277 votes

No 57% => 8584 votes

I'm not sure 6% => 967 votes
Current number of voters: 14828

I can not figure out how to get to where I can vote on this last one, but I wonder if bininthedirt was talking about the first one.

Mully

Top Bottom