Xis

Jul 13, 2005
Well here's the thing. I live on a half acre of property surrounded by fences on 3 sides. Most of our propety is taken up by our house, driveway and gardens. However there is A LOT of cattle land, farm land and empty space on the other sides and across the road. But all of this is owned by 3 of our neighbours. They would most likely (almost for sure) allow me permission to ride on their land so I do have space to ride.

But now insurance is a huge problem for me on a dirt bike. I already knew you're s'posed to have insurance put on a dirt bike to be able to ride it off your property (makes sense) and I knew that to get insurance on a dirt bike the owner (like my dad or my mom) would have to have a motorcycle lisence to get it. But my dad and my mom don't have one so I wouldn't be able to ride legally outside of my property (which isn't that big). But I already knew this and my parents didn't. Now that they found out I can't ride off my property, I probably can't get a dirt bike. They are huge legal respecting people and wouldn't want to get a fine or anything. So what can I do? how do I convince them that I should still be allowed to get a dirt bike?

dante

Mar 24, 2004
see if you can get motorcycle insurance with just a mototcycle leaners permit (canada must have them)... The learners permit is a written test in the USA, maybe it's similar in canada... Then show your Dad how easy it is to pass... In the USA you can insure a motorcycle without a motorcycle class licence, or permit, but it's very costly, but with the learners permit, insurance cost is not too bad at all...

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
you need insurance to ride off your property? i've been to several tracks and none of them have ever asked for proof of insurance. ps. i live in new jersey....

Xis

Jul 13, 2005
xr100ider, that's probably because you don't need insurance on tracks. So if you race you don't need insuracne if you only ride on tracks because you ride at your own risk, but you need insurance to ride on other peoples property because without it, if you wrek their property or something happens and they sue you then you're going to wish you had it. Plus in Canada, without insurance it's illegal to ride on others property without it. It's like if you have a car but no insurance you can't drive it on the road, same thing.

And dante, I bet there's no way I could convince my dad to get his learners permit. I'd try and get it myself but I'm only 14 and you have to be 16 here. Plus I'm noyt sure if you have to have your regular car lisence first.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Hopefully it is a Canadian law and I have not been operating in ignorance to such a thing in the US. I have health insurance and I have auto and home owner insurance, but I do not have any insurance to ride dirtbikes off of my property. Insurance is not required for that in the US, or at least not in PA or NC where I have lived and ridden. The exception would be for a dual purpose bike which would also require inspection, motorcycle license, and annual registration to ride it on the highway. But for trails, fields, or motocross tracks, no insurance is necessary here (yet). If it were required, I am sure that the few private clubs we ride at would have required proof of it.

Xis

Jul 13, 2005
I wish it wasn't a Canadian law, it's a stupid one. But apparentally around here it is and there's nothnig I can do so I was considering getting a quad. But I guess I'll just start a new thread on that one becuase I don't think anyone would vist it here and I'd get more replys on another thread. Thanks anyways guys/ gals.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I do recall a post earlier from one of our canuck friends who got a hellacious large ticket for NOT having insurance on his bike (I'm sure it's just liability).

I can't see it being more than $100/year, though . . .

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You do not need a motorcycle licence to be able to get an off road plate, at least in Manitoba you don't. You do however need to have a standard class 5 driver's licence the same as you would need to get an off road plate for a quad or snowmobile. Even if your parents got the licence/insurance legally you would not be covered or allowed to cross a roadway on any of these off road machines until you have a driver's licence.

Xis

Jul 13, 2005
lol, i know I wouldn't be able to ride on the road, but i wouldn't want too even if I could. I'd just have to cross the road and chances are slim that you would be caught crossing a road about at wide as you are tall, you'd make it across in less then a second. Plus it's not me who wants to be the legal freak. I personally have no problem riding on trails with no insurance, it's my parents that don't want me to get fined if I was caught. But o well, I'm gonig to figure something out that's going to get me riding, if not a dirt bike, a quad (then maybe I'll be able to race)

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I don't have a motorcycle license, and I just picked up $1,000,000 in liability insurance for $100 a year. In fact, it just came in the mail today.

Is the bike a V plate or a P plate...or no plate at all? Our provinces are a bit different, but essentially it's the vehicle that's insured, not the driver. You can get a bike V-plated (off-road only) in mom or dad's name, have them insure it for liability only, and carry the insurance info with you when you ride. If you read any French, here's the document you need to act in mom/dad's behalf with regards to registering or operating the vehicle in question: http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/formulaires/5912-5d.pdf
If you have liablility insurance, the landowner's permission, and your parents' consent, I think you're good to go. Go to the local police station, explain that you are trying to act in accordance with the law, and follow their advice. You still have no right to cross or ride on public roads...but neither do I or most dirtbikers.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Hmm not sure where the driving on the road come from as I made no mention of it, I did mention crossing a road. In Manitoba you need an off road plate to ride on any crown land which you would be legally allowed to do as long as mom or dad acquired the plate. You could not cross any road legally whether it be on a dirtbike, quad, motorized sofa or any other object that had an engine without having your drivers licence.

Stryke

Jul 19, 2005
i thought u only need a license if it is for road only or dual sport. Offroad insurence is different u dont need a motorcycle licence because it is an offroad vehicle right???

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Every Province may be different but I doubt by much.

Province of Manitoba Off Road Vehicles Act said:
Licence requirement

35(2) No person shall operate an off-road vehicle directly across a roadway and shoulder unless he or she holds a licence other than one that has a restriction on operating off-road vehicles.

See the entire act online if you wish.

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/o031e.php

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Ok it would appear giving you the actual provincial statute wasn't enough with your limited reading comprehension skills. It would likely take you a few weeks but if you read the entire statute it gives definitons for all terms contained within the statute. Suffice to say your interpretation is incorrect and I won't allow you to spew incorrect advice to someone who is seeking the correct information. While I will agree the likelyhood of getting caught crossing a roadway is minimal it is not legal without a drivers licence.

Top Bottom