RanMan

May 22, 2002
I said I would give an update on the chain. Sorry for being so late.
Well, I put the chain on 2 days before our race on April 27. He made 3 laps at 7 miles per lap in mainly mud. Some deep and some real deep (Maplesville, Al). I didn't even have a chance to run it to get some initial stretch out of it. We checked the chain afterwards and I was very suprised to find that it hasn't even stretched or wore any at all at this point. Normally, in this type terrain, we would have to stop to adjust before he even finished.
My son says he didn't notice any difference in power. I couldn't notice any drag either. I can't really comment results on MX track because we don't ride it. I only wish I had started using this chain long ago. Bottom line is...we were very well satisfied with the results. If your kid rides in the woods, whether it's trail riding or racing, I would suggest trying it. Can't guarantee you will like, but we do.....so far

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
We switched to o-ring chains awhile ago for racing desert. They work great.

vern#19

Apr 23, 2000
My aon and I have used O-ring chains for Mx on 80s thru 450s . The 80s we could run them for up yo 10 monthes . MXers say the extra drag slows them down, well if you use a good lube ( Demond tec Oring Chain Lube) or pop it off clean it then drop it into a tub of Chain saw bar oil it will only have a very slite drag.

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
We installed an 'o' ring chain on my son's XR80 ( with big bore kit ) after having problems with the 420 o.e. chains. Haven't had any problems since. We adjusted it twice in about 9 monthes. Didn't notice any increased drag, but in theory there should be due to the mass difference.

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
We changed my son's stock 420 chain and sprockets on his '02 KX85 to the bigger 428 sprockets and o-ring chain late last summer. From a maintenance viewpoint, it was by far the best value mod we've made to this bike. He's been running it since August '02 and it's been adjusted exactly once and the sprockets look like new! Prior to the o-ring chain, he went through two chains and two sets of sprockets in six months. Also had to adjust the chain after every ride.

He trail rides and races AMA D-17 hare scrambles on it. I've heard the argument that the increased mass and friction from the o-rings robs horsepower, but I'd venture that unless you're one of the top 5% of the junior riders in the country, you'd never notice it.

RMinthewoods

May 10, 2003
We also run an o-ring chain and rarely have to adjust the chain. Hey Mr. Sexton i noticed that sean did not race at the wedron hs but little scotty did? What happened?

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
My youngest son had his first communion that Sunday and we had to be back in Springfield by 1:30 for that. I told Sean he could ride the mini class, but we couldn't stay for the the big bikes. He wasn't interested in riding the 85. He's going to ride his 125 in the trail rider class the rest of the year.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom