bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
17-year-old motocross racer slowly recovering

KHQ-TV

USA - Shiri Howell's family has reason to smile tonight as their daughter finally shows promising signs of recovery after a serious accident with another motocross racer.

Seventeen-year-old Shiri suffered serious head injuries when she collided with another motocross racer at the Airway Heights off-road vehicle park. She had gone off a jump-unaware that another rider was in the gap between the hills.

Shiri's made steady progress since the accident, even moving her leg and squeezing her mom's hand earlier in the day on Thursday, which is what keeps her family optimistic about the long road ahead.

"Just everyday I come with a smile on my face and tell her I love her and that every day is going to be better than yesterday," said Angie Howell, Shiri's mom.

To help with hospital costs and allow Matt and Angie Howell to stay at their daughter's bedside, the Airway Heights off road vehicle park is hosting an auction fundraiser this Saturday. It takes place from 1 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. and the public is invited.

Pro-motocross athletes rallying behind this latest effort-Chad Reed and Tim Ferry are even donating jerseys and gear for this weekend's auction fundraiser.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5841044/

From the Extreme Motorsports (Shiri's hometown track) Website:
http://www.extmotorsports.com/

August 14, 2004
Our thoughts and prayers are with Shiri Howell and her family. Shiri has been moved to her own room and out of ICU now. She is in room 327 at Sacred Heart Medical Center. She continues to be our "Sleeping Beauty". Dr's still give no indication as to when she will wake up. It is all up to her and God now. Please keep the prayers coming.

The family thanks everyone for their kindness and flowers and cards. Donations are now being accepted to offset the cost of bills and down work time for the family. You can send donations to:
Matt & Angie Howell
P.O. Box 1414
Airway Heights, Wa 99001
Please contact Vicki at (509) 218-2014
for further information.

August 28th Supercross will be one you will not want to miss. We are having an auction to benefit Shiri. Factory riders are sending in their riding gear. We already have a full set from Chad Reed. Local shops are also donating and we will have tons of cool stuff for you to place bids on. All proceeds raised will be donated to the Howell family.

The auction will be held during the Supercross Race August 28th.
Gates open 1:00 pm
Pee-WeePractice: 2:30pm
80cc & Up Practice:
3:30pm
50/60cc Racing 5:00
Racing 6:30pm

The auction will start when gates open with bigger items being auctioned around 6 pm.

Be there or be square!!!

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
UPDATE:

My brother's boy races at Airway Heights, and they attended the auction. A lot of stuff went out the door, stuff "regular people" could afford, and stuff the collectors jacked up to high $$.

Seems they raised between $40-50K. Hopefully that will ease their pain. :)

EDIT: I just read where they raised $134,000.00!! Awesome!

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Another update: Over Labor Day weekend, Shiri came out of her coma, and her mom was at the local Wal-Mart getting some stuff they'd run out of or whatever. Shiri asked if she could call her mom. Mom answers her cell phone, hears her daughter's voice, and collapses!

Thankfully, a Wal-Mart employee drove her back to the hospital to reunite her with her daughter.

Here's a story: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5938163

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Awesome news - thanks Pred & Bbbom. That would've been the best phone call she'd ever gotten (and Shiri ever made).
I hope she makes a full recovery in due course :)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Yep, she's on the long road to recovery. They announced the story about her waking up & calling her mom at the MX Races that Sunday.

It really helped raise the spirits of everyone there that day!

Haven't heard anything new on her lately but we'll be at the MX Races at Airway all weekend so might know more then. All prayers and well wishes for Shiri and her family are certainly welcome and appreciated!! :ride:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
CRAP! I wish I would have read this before August 28th. :( My best wishes to Shiri and her family and friends.

Top Bottom