Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In his words from his Blog :cool: :

next steps

wow… where do i even begin? it’s been so long since i’ve blogged, that i practically feel like a stranger in my own space. a lot has happened, the most important of which was my 11/20 discharge from craig and arrival at my new home in indiana. there’s been lots to write about, but the truth is that – at least for me – the creative process is hard to get into if my head’s not in the right place, and that’s a place that has been hard to find for the last few months. my spinal cord injury reality is that it’s like fighting a war every day, and there’s very little time off from the front lines. it’s an inch by inch, trench by trench sort of an affair and the daily grind leaves little bandwidth for anything else.

the good news, however, is that i’m winning. not every victory results in hundreds of feet of new territory – like the day i did my last walk at craig, but even an advance of 1/100th of a foot represents progress. speaking of that last walk, it truly was a victory. i said from the moment i was admitted to the hospital that i was going to walk out. as my progress revealed that leaving craig completely free of a wheelchair wasn’t going to be realistic, i still stuck to the idea that i would be capable of walking before i left, and at least not be bound to a wheelchair.

and, i’m not. i can get in and out of a car on my own, i stand up in the shower (some, anyway) and if i decide i want to sit on the couch, i just roll over to it and make the transfer. we’ve been busy now that we’re home in indiana, and in fact, i spend a lot of time on my feet. looking back to the first week in october, i remember being really proud of the fact that i stood up without assistance 39 times over the course of seven days. i stood up more than 40 times last week…and that was just on friday.

as for walking, there’s been a lot of that going on, too. it’s not quite a daily thing, but we’re closing in on it. my new physical therapist is pretty aggressive and he shares my love of setting goals, so it’s going to be exciting to see how he and i beat back the enemy. i can tell you this…monday we walked 460 feet without crutches, today was 660, and our goal is that by january 1st i’ll be able to walk across the room on my own.

now that would be a great way to bring in the new year!

Link to Will's Blog : http://www.barpfoto.com/blog/?p=1226

walking-blog-001-768x1024.jpg

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Good to see him on his feet :cool:
He is a winner

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Will is one of the most incredible people I've ever met .. easy to say at this point I'm sure, but all those that know him, know how he'll deal with this major "setback". When he decided to get into photography, we had a lot of fun at the track.. since then he's really stepped it up, looking at the shots he'd logged before the accident. Amazing stuff in there, he's got "IT".

I regret never setting a solid date to "shoot street" in Dallas before he moved, life got in the way for both of us I suppose. We kept talking about it, but never got to it.

Couple of shots when we were at Nocona in 2007.

Attachments

• will_shooter.jpg
    will_shooter.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 166
  • oops_willy.jpg
    oops_willy.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 150

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
Earlier that same day.... the guy could ride it.

My guess is he will again just to prove HE CAN. :cool:

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Man, that's great to hear. He has the kind of attitude that is infectious and I have a ton of respect for him.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
RR - thanks for posting.

Will is an incredibly strong and poisitive individual, I don't think anything could stop him. Great to hear he's making progress, day after day.

Does anyone have Will's mailing address for his new place in Indiana? If so, please PM me, or post it, thanks!

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Bravo! I got a card from them the other day. There is info about a charity type ride New Years Day. I believe it is Arkansas, I'll try to get the info and post up. Truly good things will come.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Good to see Will's grin.

As others have said ... he is a 100% class act through and through.

I need to dig through some of my photo archives from DW past and see what I can find.

Top Bottom