Updated kawasaki paint thread...

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Searched the archives and google, and the consensus for rattle can frame touchup was to use PJ1. But it looks like PJ1 has discontinued Kawasaki green, and now just sells clearcoat.

So whats the best plan B? Anybody found rustoleum or something that is a close match? Or go to Home Depot and have them color match an oil based paint and spray or sponge brush that on really thin?

This is for a functional restoration to abuse in the woods, not a show bike, so I want it to look as nice as possible short of the large investment stripping and powde rcoating would require...

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Great, thanks. Looks like the colorrite solution is the proper "off the shelf" option. $33 for a 11 oz spray can hurts, but that's oem for you.

I also found a can of green "engine paint" at advance auto parts. Not a perfect match, but not way off either. I think I'll try that first, as the paint on my frame is already thoroughly trashed and already has some mismatch where a previous owner sprayed some stuff on.

dmerc

Dec 30, 2008
I just painted my rear wheel today with Grabber Green engine enamel from Auto Zone. I like it!! And, it's good for 500 degrees, in case I wanna' ride thru' burning buildings!! :laugh:

kawkdx1.jpg

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Boy does that thing look like it would be a fun ride across deals gap or something! Wow!

Thanks for the tip, I'll swing by an auto zone and get a can and see if it is a closer match then the advance auto parts green engine paint I already have. I put some on yesterday, and its a looks fine relative to the plastics, and feels reasonably tough so far.

dmerc

Dec 30, 2008
I got another can at Advance Auto today. I'm doing the frt wheel too, wanted to make sure I don't run out.

The rear (from Auto Zone) is RustOleum engine paint, the Advance Auto, is Duplicolor engine enamel. I can see NO difference in shade at all, after doing a sample of each, side by side.

The BIG difference, is the Rustoleum's spray nozzle sprays a nice pattern, and can even be sprayed upside down.

There's lots of nooks and crannys in the wheel spokes, making the rustoleum pattern ideal. I can spray from many angles, to get all the edges done....with the duplicolor, it's gonna' be a pain...hopefully, the rusto' can will be enough.

For a frame, take your pick depending on the pattern you want. The colors are BOTH called Grabber Green, and really are a dead match! And in person, looks FANTASTIC!! :eek:

edit, now I see you've already tried it....missed that, sorry.
If you're happy with the sprayability, you'll be fine with what you have. Good lookin' stuff, huh? Kawi' green has always been my favorite color. I had seen the engine enamel before, but always assumed it would be a flat paint. It's actually got a nice gloss. Gonna have to keep a can or two around.

Top Bottom