sraser

May 31, 2001
I have a buddy who is looking into buying his first bike. I have been helping him look at some different bikes, but I am no expert myself. I know the basic things, such as checking the air filter, chain and sprockets, wheel bearings, etc. What are some other good things to look at or think about when inspecting used bikes? Thanks for the help guys...

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
get the bike on a stand, grab the rear wheel and try to move the swingarm left and right and then up and down. There should be NO play or noises. Make sure the forks don't bind or leak, handlebars are straight, radiators aren't twisted or bent, brake pads aren't really thin, brake fluid isn't black, subframe is straight, starts easy, no clutch drag when it's running. If you can take a compression tester and see what it's at...120 or less and a new top end would be in the works. Bring a helmet and you go ride it...make sure it shifts good, stops fast, runs strong ect. Then buy it if ya like it :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Check the fork stops and see if they are mashed one way or another. Ride it and make sure it tracks straight. You can check this by riding through a wet sidewalk and then watch the tracking of the front and rear tires as they leave the wet marks on the dry cement. Spin the wheels on a stand and see if the rims are bent too. And the final and most important one, please, I repeat, PLEASE look at the Vin number on the headstock and make sure it hasn't been tampered with, ground or missing and verify the number to see if it matches the number on the Title. Make sure the seller is the same as the owner on the Title. Oh, and don't buy a bike without a Title (California residents). If you want, call me at work when you are looking at the bike and I'll check it on the spot for you to assure it isn't stolen. Good luck

Carlo
714-705-6010

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If it's not yellow, just walk away and no one will get hurt!! Hey SKR :moon::moon::)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have no idea but I would think they'd at least have a Manufacturers Statement of Origin or something but I can't speak for all the states. No matter though, I can still check the Vins from here for you. :thumb:

sraser

May 31, 2001
Thanks a lot for the help guys. We actually took it out today and gave it a spin. Turns out that it fouls plugs after about an hour. Here's the deal, it's a '98 YZ 250, but for only $1,000. That's less than half the blue book price, bu it has definetley been ridden a lot without much maintenance. It has a new top-end, new wheel bearings, new brake pads, and new chain and sprockets. It rode well, except there are 2 main problems that I can tell.....

1) It fouls plugs. They told me it would, so we had extras on hand (thank god) but I am not sure why it is fouling them. I am taking it in to my local mechanic on Tuesday to have him look at it.

2) There seems to be a problem with the clutch. When we first started it and popped it down in to first...it just died. Like the clutch wasn't even in. I adjusted the lever out more, and it solved that problem, however when giving the bike any more than half throttle it just wined a lot, as though the clutch was engaged. I don't know what to make of this, and I am going to have the mechanic look at it as well.

Here's the thing, do you guys have any suggestions as far as these two problems? I know it is kind of shady buying a bike with problems, but $1,000 is really, really cheap for a '98 and if the problems are'nt too complicated, it may be worth it. Also, Elk, I want to take you up on your offer to call and have the VIn checked out. Is that cool, and if so, when is a good time for you? Thanks again for th ehelp guys, I really appreciate it...

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
The plug situation is a jetting problem, easily fixed

The clutch is more of an issue. If you can take off the right side cover. If there are notches in the clutch basket fingers you're looking at a few hundred bucks ($300 or more probably) to fix, just in parts. If there aren't grooves or they aren't very deep then I'd say it needs new clutch plates, about $80 or so. The jumping when going into gear suggests grooves and the whining, or slipping, suggests the plates are fried.

Elk, when I bought, and sold, my bike it was a cash transaction...give me the money, here's your bike. If mine got lifted I'd be COMPLETELY screwed, I'd be peeping at vins in the staging area of all the races.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
My 1997 YZ 250 had a grooved clutch basket when I bought it and it acted just like yours. I replaced it with a Hinson and have been very happy with it. I spent 225.00 for that and about 85.00 for the clutch plates.

In my area, the 1998 YZ are going for about 2800-3000. You have a lot of money to play with on this one. Check the suspension linkages. They get expensive!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
sraser, send me a pm with the vin and I'll check it first thing Monday morning for you. Give me a number I can call you back at that way I can tell you right away. Hopefully the guy has a Title for it and it matches his name. Just don't take it for granted that he tells you his name, look at his ID if he doesn't mind. If he balks at it, walk away, it ain't worth it. Also, add the name of the guy selling it in your pm so I can match it up and maybe the address he is using too. I'll talk to you Monday morning. $1000 is wayyy too cheap for that bike unless there are major mechanical problems with it. I'll be in by 6 am on Monday.

Elk

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
sraser, I got your pm and like I said, stay away from this one. You should post here what you told me about the whole deal and maybe everyone else can give their opinions as well. You don't want to be out a bike AND the money if the guy comes back and says it was stolen. Wish I had better news for you but I don't want you to get burned. Good luck
Elk

sraser

May 31, 2001
Thanks a lot for the help. I actually took the bike into the mechanic to have him look at, and it turns out that it'd be more trouble than it's worth nayways. That , plus the shady background, and we're definetley staying away from it. I guess when you get offered a '98 YZ 250 for only a thousand bucks, you can't expect everything to be cool.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm glad you chose that route bud, you'll be happier in the end. Let me know if you need anything else on another one in the future. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom