van setup tips requested

Jan 7, 2001
I'm looking for advice on what you guys have found useful in setting up a van for hauling bikes. I am modifying a '97 Dodge maxi (extended) cargo van. I was going to install a partition good quality 3/4" plywood with a reinforcing length of channel aluminum running width-wise to butt the front tires of the bikes against and to provide the tie-down points. The partition will be located just aft of a bench seat that will be installed within approximately a four foot space behind the two front seats. I want to have an access door in the partition to be able to get to tool box sized items in the cargo space without having to do a major unload of bikes and other stuff just to get to something back there. I will be laying down 3/8" plywood on the floor from just behing the two front seats all the way to the back doors. I'll use 1/4" plywood for the walls and roof with fiberglass insulation.

Any tips you guys can provide on the following subjects would be greatly appreciated:

Alternate approaches to building/buying/installing a partition?
Ideal spot to locate the partition?
What hardware do you recommend to bolt/weld it in place with?
Partition access door, size, location and hinge/latch types?
What type of sealant/insulating material around the edges of the partition and access door work best (need to keep the fumes out of the driver’s compartment)?
Cargo space lighting (any good 12v dc florescent durable light fixtures out there)?
Bench/sleeper seat selection - maybe one that the seat section slides forward some and the back folds down to make a wider sleeper?
Tips for installing the upholstery (headliner, carpeting, etc) in the front space?
Fuel jugs/air tank/tool box storage/shelves ideas?
Cargo space finish types (outdoor carpeting/rubber mat/stain)?

Any help you can provide for this project would be greatly appreciated.

I would really like to see some pictures how other folks’ rigs are put together. So, if you have any, e-mail them to me at hoge@qnet.com Again, thanks for the help.

Cheers!
Scott

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…