Venting Need Advice

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Mark and I really need a new car.

We are now driving 2 pick up trucks. Mine is a full size Toyota that gets horrible gas mileage, it's good for a full size truck but still horrible. Mark's is a 2wd Toyota that is uncomfortable, has no AC, and no power steering. I hate driving it anywhere, so wherever we drive we take the big truck.

Our gas bill is outrageous! We spend $50 per week on my truck alone, and that is if we stay at home all weekend, which we rarely do. In the 2 years we have had the truck, I have already put 38,000 miles on it.

Basically what I am saying, is we are driving the heck out of a very expensive vehicle. We have decided we are going to sell the little truck and get an econo car. We had been debating for months, and months, what kind of a car to get.

Weekend before last, I went, with my Mom, and test drove a new Mazda Protege5, it's the station wagon version of the Protege. It is fun to drive, cute but pratical, super reliable, and more importantly cheap. You can get one brand new for $14,000, and used for $10,000. They have been rated consumer reports used car to buy every year for the last 2 or 3 years. Sooo, we decided that is what we are going to get. Mind you, we have been trying to make this decision since last summer.

Fast forward to Saturday. I called my parents to find out what they were doing that night, and my Dad tells me they are in the Mazda dealership buying...you guessed it...the Protege5. Apparently, Mom thought it would be cute for us to have the same car, she knew I was getting one. :flame:

Would you be mad? Would you still get the same car? Would you say something to her?

Mark, my hubby, is saying no way no how are we going to buy this car now. :( WDYT?

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
I forgot to add, Mom has always had this weird competition thing with me. Always trying to out do me. When I got my KDX, she even went out and bought herself a bike. Why? I have no clue. She has never had any interest in riding. She detests, and I mean literally detests, the sport. Whenever we even bring up riding she makes comments about how boring we are, and how we should have a conversation everyone can be involved in. What is funny, is everyone but her is involved in the conversation. gerr

When I bought my house, she made a snipe remark about how her house is still bigger. Umm hello!!! I was 20 years old and buying my first house! I would hope her house is bigger.

I could go on and on, but I am sure I am already boring you with my issues. hehehe

Just wanted some input.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
4EverOrange, I know exactly how you feel!! My mom has started dressing like me, faded jeans..same type of shoes...and now her "favorite" color is orange. When I sold my CR80 to get my CR125 she sold her 80 and got a 125...only one year older than mine. My bike has Pro-Circuit pipes on it, she switched from FMF to ProCircuit. I stickered my truck with my fox, Honda, and other various moto stickers. She did the same. Seems like anything I like, she likes too. It's driving me crazy. Not sure if I should feel privledged that she chose me to follow..or what.
I don't really have a good suggestion on your car situation. That's a tough call. You did say though, that you need a new car desparately. So I would either stick with what you chose, or maybe keep looking. There are quite a few choices for the economy style cars. Such as the Ford Focus, and I know there are others. I just can't think of any right now, I'm recovering from Vertigo..and my brain hasn't yet decided to function at 100%
I've also come to the conclusion that since my mom doesn't really get out, besides going to work. She doesn't really know what trends to follow. So she has started using me as her "role model". That's the only thing I can come up with. I don't want to say anything to her, and hurt her feelings. I still live it home, so I have to keep a low profile...I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.
-Tracie

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
4EO, buy whatever car you like! There are millions of other people driving the same model already. Sounds like your mom has a bit of an identity crisis but I wouldn't let it sway my purchasing decisions besides you could always trick yours out even more. ;) Maybe she's just looking for a way to connect with you, could be the same for MXGirl?

I would look at their "copying" as an expression of how much they value your knowledge & insight. By studying & researching which car to get, you sold your mom on the same car. Same goes with clothes, bikes, etc. I ride a CR500 set up quite similar to Karl's - not to copy him or compete with him but because he convinced me that it was the best bike for the riding we do.

After riding his and several others I was in agreement. If I didn't have respect for his opinion, I would not been so keen (thanks Michelle) on really giving the 500 a try.

What is that old saying "Imitation is the purest form of flattery" something like that.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
bbbom said it really well, whatever you do, get the car you want, otherwise everytime you see your mom's you'll resent her all the more, when all she's trying to do is be like you... At least she got one first so you can get a different color! :-)
Mother/daughter relationships provide for a lot of psychotherapy dollars.
-Susan
BBR230

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Mother/daughter relationships provide for a lot of psychotherapy dollars.

You're telling me! Growing up all you want from your mother is approval and respect. Then when she starts wanting to be like you, you want her to grow up. BTW - I am waaayyy too old to be dealing with this now. I am close to 27, you would think this would have hit her when I was in high school.

"Imitation is the purest form of flattery"

This is what my Dad keeps telling me. That I should be proud that my Mom wants to be like me. I just wish she was more like me. Then I wouldn't have to listen to him bitch about not being able to ride. :think:

Thanks for the replies! I think I have decided to get a Suburu instead. It was always my first choice, until I found the Mazda and saw the price difference. I think I can get a used Suburu for the same price as a new Mazda. Overall the Sub is a better car, and it's all wheel drive.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Does the Subaru that yer looking at happen to be the WRX? OOooo, a friend let me drive her WRX up and down our canyon when she first got it. HOLY COW that thing corners like it's one RAILS; I would TOTALLY get into loads of trouble if I owned one of those; NICE!!! I also heard that Mitsubishi just came out with competition for the WRX. I've only read about that one in magazines, but it's getting good reviews. Might be something to consider.

On another note... Will and I both drive trucks too. Our solution to the spending on gas is to ride the motorbikes to work in the summer. The Duc gets 60 miles to a gallon and ya just can't beat that. Motorbike parking is right up front too, which is nice. It might be something your mom wouldn't do. 'Just a thought.

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
The WRX Wagon or the Legacy Sedan. I love them both! I haven't driven the WRX or the Sedan, but I did drive the Legacy wagon, for a station wagon the thing handled very nicely!

I would love to do the street bike thing, but in Oregon, where it rains as often as it's sunny, it wouldn't work. :(

On a side note, our plan is to eventually get a motorhome and BMW touring bikes, and travel around the USA with the bikes. That would be so much fun!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have a little Toyota 4x4 and I really like it. Sure my ego calls for a big block lifted 3/4 ton, but this is a LOT more practical. Insurance is cheap, I can haul 3 bikes (If I want to badly enough that is . . .) and I get 20 +/- MPG. I do wish I had a V6 and an extra cab, but there goes the gas mileage I guess.

I am not practical enough to look at station wagons--I would go for a Mustang, or Cougar, or something else cute and fast. But that's just me. :)

For 4 doors, I don't really mind the Volkswagens--Jetta or whatever the sort of boxy cute one is. I don't know, I was raised on muscle cars. My friend who is into rally keeps telling me how cool wagons are but I am not convinced.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by 4EverOrange
Our gas bill is outrageous! We spend $50 per week on my truck alone

Man, $50. per week! I went to fill up last Sat and my credit card was declined. I called Mon to see why because I pay my bill every month in full. It seems I had exceeded my limit of $1400. by $200. That's right, $1600. for one month, and yes that's for my one truck. :(

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
Exactly what is a full size Toyota? :eek: As far as wanting to save money I hear you loud and clear. But calling anything Toyota makes "Full Size" should be a crime :laugh:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
as far as mileage on your toyota goes.................. a friend of mine has a 99 tacoma prerunner and it has a documented 370,000 miles on it. he is a professional courier in the dallas metromess. he averages an oil change once every nine days. he does all of the preventive mechanical stuff but almost never washes it. the truck has been reliable as a rock. its an automatic too. his last truck was a ford ranger. the motor did fine (290,000 when he sold it) but it ate trannys(3 of em)manual. the ford/mazda had a really bad mainshaft bearing design. he got good enough to feel the bearing going bad before it muched the tranny. it trashed one and the second one was rebuilt twice.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
I was backing my four-door dually diesel GMC out of Wal-Mart a week ago when I heard a weird crunching sound.
I had inadvertantly backed over a Toyota "full-size" truck.
I hate it when that happens!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
You people break my heart! Just enjoy that you have a parents young enough to care enough to involve them self with you! My parents are so old that they can barley get out of the wheel chair to eat! "I hear the waaabulance come fast!"

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Get this in the chick forum!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! My mom used to try and get me into dresses but I said NO WAY!! And my Dad, whoa, he's got me wearing jeans and t-shirts, wtf?!! I love DRN.;):)

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Have a closer look at the Mitsubishi - IMHO they are much better engineered (and slighty faster!). Less practicle as they only come in a sedan, but nice.....

I have a Legacy GTB wagon, which you don't seem to get over in the US (2.0 litre Twin turbo), which I've had for two years and 60,000km. It runs well and has been very reliable over that time (the next 100,000km may prove to be different!). Its not anywhere as fast as the WRX or EVO, mainly because its bigger and heavier, it doesn't quite handle as well either.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
We have a 2002 Subaru Legacy wagon, and that thing has been a lifesaver in the winters up here.  (Although my husband did manage to get it stuck in the driveway for about 5 minutes one morning! :p )  We test drove one of the WRX wagons before the Legacy.  Whooo--eee that was SWEET!  In the end, we chose the Legacy, as the WRX takes premium gas (Legacy can get by on regular) and the Legacy had more room for "stuff".    Keep in mind the cost of premium gas!  May not cost any less than your truck running on regular gas.

The car I drive on my long commute is a '94 Saturn SL2.  It had about 10K miles when we bought it in '95, and now has almost 173K.  For reliability, it can't be beat.  Never let us down, and is STILL getting over 30mpg (highway).  It's not much to look at, the seats are sacked out and the stereo sucks, but it just keeps on running. 

At least your mom got her car BEFORE you got yours, Orange.  If you'd bought one first, it'd be awfully hard to justify getting a different one.  Now you have an excuse. :confused:  

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…